76' Johnson 35HP question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Salmonid, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just bought this motor on a nice 14 ft flat bottomed jon boat and have a few questions for the experts.
    Motor is in good working condition, was overhauled 2 years ago, but curious what the oil/gas ratio that would be recommended for it?

Also in good shape, what would this be worth on the open market, its electric start, has electric Choke and set up for console steer.

Last question, what would it take to make it a tiller steer if i ever decide to do it that way.

As always, many thanks for the replys!!

Salmonid

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    mixture for that engine is 50/1.............................AND don't ease the shifter into forward or reverse .......... SLAM IT IN !!!!!!!........... make sure idle on motor is not to high ......................

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Alright Coach, you remember well.

Leave the steering alone. It ain't worth the effort to try and find the parts to change it over to tiller. It's way easier to just trade for one.

As for price, it depends on the condition 450.00 to 700.00 possibly.

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mark,
    Those 35hp Johnsons and Evinrudes are indeed great motors. I have a 1979 35 Evinrude on my 16' Alumacraft flatbottom and it pushes the boat and two fisher persons real good. The only weak part of that motor is the clutch dog. Take Coaches and Bob Pauls advise and don't ease that motor into gear. It will last a long long time. My wife and I ran mine on the river today. We probably run a total of 25 miles or so and used about 4 gallons of fuel. Motor runs great.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, so let me get this straight, when idling, just put it into gear hard and same when I take it out??? Im not sure I understand why, remember, when talking to me about mechanical things, its best to pretend your talking to a 4 year old...:crazy: How about some laymans terms for why this should be done.

Any other issues i should be aware of on this engine, common probs, or what not? I pick up the boat next weekend and hopefully can get it out for a trial run on the Great Miami river mini gathering we have planned.

Salmonid

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    the best i can tell u n layman's terms is ........... if u ease that engine into gear u gonna be rebuilding the lower unit ........as in . ROUNDING OFF THE EDGES OF THE CLUTH DOG ......................hey bobpaul .... u still ugly !!!! lmao...........

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey mark, i just looked at my 25hp johnson tiller this evening, it would be a big hassle trying to convert it.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Coach, I'm old, I can look any damned way I want to.

You checked out a full length mirror lately? LMAO!!!!!

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys for the info!!. Will keep everything in mind when I get her out in the next week or two.
    Salmonid

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    OK, here is the update on the SS Smurf Boat,
    $192 bucks later, I had a new Coil, new points and Condensor and a new Stator contact do hicky. it appears the Stator was touching the flywhel and grounding out the power to 1 of the coils so it appeared the coil was bad, turns out it may not have been so the mechanic gave the old one back to me just in case. Motor runs like a champ now and I appreciate everyones input and help!

Salmonid