76 Johnson 35hp Engine problems

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Recently bought this boat, engine starts fine and idles a little on the slow side but has a bigger problem, when I throw it into gear, it stalls under any load at all, its pushing a 14 ft flat bottom john but at full throttle, it barely moves it along. Motor was supposedly rebuilt 2 years ago and hardly run since then? any ideas?? on where to start? Im open to take to someone in the Dayton / Ohio area if any of you can recommend someone or a shop.
    Oh yeah, thanks to Dinkbuster who stayed through 2 hours of pouring rain to help me give the S.S. Smurf her maiden voyage after last weeks failed attempt with all the battery acid holes in the floor.

Dink, care to add anything here??
    Thanks
    Salmonid

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    umm, well, when it starts stalling we would give it a little choke and it would kick back, even after it was warmed up.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

Throw it away & buy another one! :smile2: :big_smile:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the carb apart an check the high speed jet it should be unadjustable because it is a fixed jet but it may have some trash stuck in it. Do a spark test and see how strong of a spark it has. Your fuel pump could be weak to.
    Do a complete fuel system ck.

Instead of choking it try squeezing the primmer bulb. But it sounds like it can't get the fuel up out of the carb bowl

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Once had a problem like that...motor would run just as sweet and pretty as an outboard is supposed to run...but I'd hardly move. Problem was that my prop had a rubber core inside it which had separated... the shaft would turn like it was supposed to, but the prop just vibrated. Sounds like that may be your problem.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    BTW, motor only would get half the rpm when in gear. it would do fine when it was idle but not with a load.

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've got a 1979 35 Evinrude and had the same exact problem a couple of years ago. I ended up rebuilding the carb. That cured my problem. Mine was really gunked up. I'll bet you find the same problem with yours. Pull the carb, take the bowl off, use carb leaner and clean everything you can see and spray the cleaner up into every port you can find. Then blow the carb clear with compressed air and reassemble. That should fix your problem.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    We went through the same problem this year on my sister's 50hp Yamaha. It would idle just fine and you could rev it up with the throttle but when you kicked it in gear it would die. Finally got it to go in gear occasionally but wot would barely move the boat. They carried it to the shop and the mechanic said carbs were gummed up and 1 was completely clogged. He cleaned them out and it runs like a top now.

Mechanic recommended running Sea Foam all the time. My brother-in-law thought running the carbs dry at the end of every trip was good enough. Well, we got some Sea Foam to keep in it now.

ST

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    thanks for all the input, from what we can gather so far, we ( Dink really, while I supervise...:roll_eyes: ) will check out and try to clean as much as the carberator as possible, I talked to the guy at the Johnson shop and he felt that would fix it most likely so I bought a 28 dollar Carb Kit and then he also mentioned it would cost $220 plus any parts to have the shop do it!! (Yikes) so I hope this will fix it and make it run ok. Will keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Salmonid

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey Mark you have a PM brother

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Last night before we went out fishing for a bit, Dinkbuster came over and pulled the plugs, looked fine, checked the fuel filter, looked fine, pulled the carb and took it all apart and cleaned and put it all back together and we will test tomorrow, but we never saw anything that looked out of place??? if it is still having the same problem, ( planning on testing it tomorrow) any other thoughts before I take it to someone who is an expert on these motors?
    Riverking, if I need to take it in, Ill be contacting your buddy in Urbana, thanks for the name!

Salmonid

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mark,
    When you cleaned the carb did you guys run little wires through all the little ports and openings? Those little openings are tiny and a little speck can really mess you up.

Another thing. Looks for any leaks, as in air leaks. All fuel connections must be leak free. A bad fuel line, bulb, o-ring, anything that can cause air to be pulled in place of fuel.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My 40hp was acting like this and the check valves in the primer bulb were eat up from fuel aditives in the gas. I bought a new bulb and it now runs great. I was going to rebuild the carb, but i did it last year so that is why i chacked the bulb. The new bulbs last about 5 years for me.