76 chevy k10 hub question

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by crusinman2002, Aug 24, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... i have a 76 k10 that used to have all time locked hubs up front, its got the 203 transfer case, so its always 4 wheel drive. the guy i bought the truck from didn't have the spring retainers or one of the big springs to put the hubs back together, so the gear and spring are out on both sides and the front driveshaft is out, but i wan't my 4 wheel drive... lol... i can't find the spring or the retainers (c clips i think they are called) anywhere, so i'm thinking about puttin in a set of milemarker manual locking hubs... but i don't know if i'm goin to need a conversion kit like i would with the warn hubs.. and i don't know if the milemarkers will come with the retainers to hold them in since i don't have retainers

i'm just short of goin to autozone to see if they have a set sittin there i could look at to see if they come with the retainers, which from a couple of pics i've seen online, looks like they may come with them.

im lookin at the milemarker street master kit, kit number 302

any help is appreciated

2. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    If your front end has never had part time hubs installed then you will need the conversion kit to be able to install the lock out hubs regardless of the brand name you want to install.

3. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Also it has been a looonnnnggg time since I messed with one of that vintage but if I remember correctly there is also a gear you need to change in the transfer case to be able to have true part time drive and disconnect the front drive shaft. The gear is not expensive at all (at least it used to not be) and installation was not difficult either. May want to look into that as well!

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm not too worried bout true 2 wheel drive, i'd be keepin the hubs locked. what exactly does that conversion kit for the front end do? as far as i can see the hub just slides right into the hub, but i could be wrong... but what i really need to know is if the hubs come with the retaining clip or not, i'm prolly just goin to call milemarker and repost with what they say.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... nevermind this post... lol... just called milemarker and asked them, they say that there is no conversion kit required for my truck, and it comes with the retaining clips... so i'll be buyin them this comin paycheck and i'll post pics of the install on here.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would suggest againt the mile marker hubs. i have known quite a few people whom are very displeased with their performance. i would suggest WARN Hubs. they are around 120 a set and they can take some serious abuse. just my personal prefferance.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm not goin to put them through too much, just pullin the boat out of steep wet slippery ramps, and maybe a trip to the beach running on sand, other than that i only need them till next summer when the truck gets some rockwell 2.5 ton axles under it with a 12 inch lift... lol... so its just pretty much to make the 4 wheel drive functional, not really goin to abuse it though... thanks for the heads up though, i figured that with how cheap they are they prolly weren't the best, but if they will hold up to pullin the boat out of a steep slick ramp, then they will work for me