75hp Mercury Impeller

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JAYNC, Oct 5, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just realized I have to change my impeller and was wondering if it was a hard job to do. I talked to the mechanic at my dealer and he said it was a hard job. I was wondering if he was saying that because it is a business and they want my money or if it really is a hard job. It is a 2005 75 merc 4 stroke. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Shift shaft should be a spline to spline fitting. Seporates easily.

Speedo pick up tube might have a quick disconnect or just pull it loose at the lower fiting when you drop the lower unit slightly.

Remove the nuts and bolts holding it to the midsection and it should come right down, exposing the water pump.

A manaul would be a good investment for the particulars if your going to keep doing your own maintenance.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's time for you to find a new dealer and a new mechanic who won't lie to you.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I think they just wanted their 1.5hr maintenance fee which is 105 plus the part cost. I will look at it tonight and see what it looks like, and if it looks too hard to do then I will bring it there. Thanks everyone.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well after a few hours of works the impeller is changed and I saved a lot of money. Oh just so everyone knows there is an online repair manual at seloconline.com you can subscribe for like 34 dollars and its a three year subscription. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this fix. I will put the boat in the water in the morning to see how it runs.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's good to hear you got that taken care of by yourself. I didn't think it would have been too bad but I couldn't speak for your engine. I've changed one in a Mercury 60 HP before and it was pretty simple. Hardest part was getting the shift lined back up.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason the next time will be easier because you will know what to expect.

The unknowing always slows things down. Glad you got it done.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Not sure if it was doing it before the impeller change but it might have been. When I start the engine with the muffs on in neutral the prop barely spins clockwise, is that normal. It shifts fine between neutral and reverse but I'm not sure if I noticed the prop spinning a little in neutral before I changed it. If you hold the prop with something it stays put so its not in gear at all and it doesnt make any noise when its spinning. ???

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That ain't nothing to worry about.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well finally got out and the impeller fixed the overtemp problem. Not sure how many hours are on the engine, but I imagine maybe a little over 100. Its been 100 hrs of hard use though, always in the sand and mud. The impeler has a little wear and a couple grooves in it. Its surprising to me that a little wear like that can cause an overheat condition. I'm still glad I only spent $50 for the manual and impeller instead of around 140 for a dealer to change it.