75hp Mariner Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DJH1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yesterday I took my boat out for the first time since last summer, the motor is a 1988 75hp Mariner. Ran it on the water hose at the house and it was a little rough at first, then smoothed out and was running good. Put the boat in the water, started up just fine, so I started upriver with it. Got about 300 yards and all of a sudden the motor sputtered a little, then ran ok for a minute, then died. It would start back, but only run for a second or two. Luckily I had somebody there to pull me back to the ramp.

When I got it on the trailer and out of the water, tilted the motor up and gas ran out the front of the motor, guess it was just flooded from me trying to start it, but the gas was milky looking. For one thing, do you think its stopped up carbs causing the original problem? Also, does water in the gas give it that milky look?

On top of my gas tank which is under the back deck (aluminum bass boat), there is a rubber gasket under what looks like where the fuel pump is. There's just a little gas on top of the tank, is it possible that gasket's leaking and needs to be replaced??

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not real smart when it comes to outboards. I'll be taking it to my mechanic this week, just wanna put my mind to rest that its something simple.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yes, water gives gas a milky look.

Pump out your gas tank and check for water, or you can get some paste, designed to check for water in fuel. If it turns red, water's present.

Another option is to take off your fuel fitting from the gas line, at the engine, pump some gas into a container, pump quickly to generate a lot of draw. If water's present, you'll see it at the bottom of what you pump out.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    two things before the shop
    1 dump the old gas and oil it has water in it
    2 sea foam fresh gas and oil.
    now you are ready to find if you have a problem or not save your money on getting it check. iam no know it all mind you and the other post are right just trying to save your fishing money . oh yea i dont work for the sea foam company just really good stuff

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james

5. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the help guys. The gas in the tank is only about a month old and I added seafoam when I put it in the tank. I was gonna go out when we had a warm day last month, then the wind picked up so I decided not to. But I've got a siphon pump I'll probably pull all the gas out just in case.

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Good idea Joe- coulda had water from before in there.

7. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Update:

Well, I drained out all the water from the tank. Put in about three gallons of gas and took it to my mechanic last week. He calls me back today, says he's got the carbs off cleaning them, but says there's still water in the tank. He also said the "switchbox" was messed up and said it was probably caused by charging the battery without unhooking it first. Is this normal? Total damage with parts and labor is gonna be $300. This sound about right? I trust my mechanic, just wanna make sure.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, cheap for what you're getting done.

9. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    when you cahrge battery do you need to unhook the terminals first?

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have a cut off switch that I use on mine.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've never heard of such a thing.

Might be an issue if the ignition switch was left on, while charging.

12. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    as long as ign switch is off its ok or should i unhook trminals

13. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you're not sure you got 100% of the water out pour a bottle of denatured alcohol in the gas. The same thing as gas line antifreeze. It allows gasoline to mix with water and burn it. Some fuel systems, gaskets, o-rings don't work well long term with alcohol but a little won't melt anything if you run it through and don't do it prior to storage.

14. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah my mechanic said to drain all gas, then put a rag on a metal clothes hanger and use it to wipe out the tank. Then he said pour in a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Should I drain it then or put fresh gas on top of the alcohol???

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Drain it, gas has more than enough alcohol in it already.

16. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bobpaul, I did not realize all gasoline had alcohol in it. I thought they were labeled E-10 E-85 etc. Any idea what percentage of alcohol gasoline contains? Thanks for the info!

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    10% if we are lucky enough to have it that low.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Octane ratings in gasoline are obtained by adding different types of alcohol and other additives. No more lead.

If you notice your MPG dropping, it's not always your engine needing a tune up. Gas quality is dropping.

Last I heard was there are 1200 different additives in our gas. No misprint, 1200 was the last number.

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Kinda funny about this post. Went out last Friday night and motoring toward our fishing spot and engine bucked a time or two then picked up and ran fine for a while then did it again several times. Put in a can of HEET but never changed anything. Bro in law who was with me discussed the problem and decided to do just what this post suggested. What was funny is that it is a 75 HP Mariner too with the same problem about the same time. Just what I'd call a timely post. Thanx.

20. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chuck, what kind of boat are you running yours on and what kind of performacne you get? Had any problems with it? I've had mine a little over a year now and nothing major, just some knick-knack stuff. Seems the carbs stop up pretty easy, but maybe thats all o/b's.