75hp 4 stroke Merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JAYNC, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I recently bought a 75hp 4 stroke mercury engine, have used it for approximately 12-15 hrs since it was prepped by the dealer. Well last night I decided to check the oil level, since I noticed it had been smoking on startup. The smoking ceased after about 15-20 seconds. I checked the oil and noticed that it was way above the full mark. This is checking is after the motor was in full down trim for a couple days. Now I am pretty sure that 4 strokes arent sopposed to smoke at all, but I am new to outboards. Did the dealer overfilling the engine ruin something or is this a normal thing for 4 strokes to smoke. I hope its not broken in any way but I have my doubts now. Thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take it back to the dealer and be sure you check the oil in front of him.

Get an answer as to what's going on.

There's been some issues with Yamaha and Suzuki 4 strokes about them making oil, or gas getting into the crank case making it seem like it.

Does your oil have a gas smell?

You said you checked it in full down trim. Be sure you bring the engine to a level position before checking.

They are not supposed to smoke at all.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I cant remember if it smelled like gas, I am pretty sure it just smelled like oil. What I meant by down trim is that the engine was level and not in the trailered position. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, when I told them about it today they didnt sound to happy because they knew the problems it could have caused. Hopefully nothing is wrong and with the oil change everything works fine. Thanks for your help