750 word paper

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ulikedew, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I am taking online classes an d had to write a 750 word paper on something that everyone should master.Here is what I wrote.

There comes a time in everyone’s lives that want to get outside and enjoy the warm sunshine. Sure they go out do the normal yard work, wash the cars, and maybe catch a swim. Then there are the days when someone has nothing to do and are bored. Now is the time to start mastering the art of fishing. You do not need a fancy boot or a few hundred dollars of equipment to start learning. Just the want of getting out and enjoying what nature provides.

There are many different species of fish ranging from bluegill, bass, to catfish. These are some of the most common fish in waters in the United States. They can be found in small farm ponds to rivers. For a beginning fishing person the easiest fish to learn how to catch is the bluegill. With this in mind you will learn the basics of catching bluegill.

Fishing is a skill that can be taught at any age regardless of sex. There are a few things that you will need to start with such as a rod and reel, hooks, baits, and bobbers. The next thing to purchase depending on your state and age would be a fishing license. You can buy most of these items at your local sporting goods store. After acquiring all the basic items it is time to practice casting.

Practicing your casting will help you out when it is time to hit the water. The best way to practice is to find an open area and start casting. The first casts might not be the best but as time goes buy you will improve. The reason you need to learn how to cast is you will be more able to put your bait where you want to. By doing this you will improve your chance of catching a bluegill.

The time has finally arrived you are going to go fishing. You get to the water and need to setup your pole. First thing you will need to do is tie your hook to the end of the line. The second step in the process will be to put your bobber and weight on the line. Last thing that will be needed is your bait. The bait can range from pieces of corn, bread, and the everyday favorite worm. Once this is done find yourself a spot to cast out and cast.

First thing to do is watch your bobber in the water. Smaller bluegill will nibble at the bait, causing a slight movement in the bobber and ripples around the bobber. When a fish has you bait it will probably try to swim away, pulling the bobber under the water. When a fish bites, raise the tip of the pole quickly to set the hook and reel in the fish. When reeling in try to stir your fish from heavy cover such as weeds and wood. Doing so will prevent getting hung up and losing your fish.

Now you have your bluegill you may wonder what to do with it. There are a few options that you can take with the fish. One is to keep the fish to take home and eat, take note that it helps to have a few more bluegill. The option to take is catch and release, this method is simple take the fish off the hook and put it back. Some anglers will keep their bluegill to use as bait for larger fish such as catfish.

Now you have learned the basics of fishing you may wonder what the benefits to fishing are. Relaxation is one of the reasons that many anglers fish, getting away from the every day stress of life. Getting in touch with nature by enjoying the fresh air, the cool breeze blowing across the water, and the quiet atmosphere that fishing has. There are also some who fish for the challenge to catch the big one. Then some anglers fish just for the companionship, enjoying time with friends and family. Basically the true benefits from fishing are to unwind, experience nature and to reconnect with others.

There are a few consequences of not knowing how to fish which most likely will never happen to the everyday person. One of the downsides of not knowing how to fish is getting lost while lets say backpacking. You get lost and foods running low and there is a small pond near you. If you do not know how to fish how will catch some food for survival. This is one the extreme side but might happen to someone some day. The last one would be missing out being out side and enjoying the relaxation that can come from fishing.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You said boot instead of boat, Good Job.

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I tihnk it was a good write! wtg.

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Considering I wrote it at 12 am without any notes hope my teacher doesn't catch it lol

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well our resident teacher [:008:] gave you a good mark, that's all that counts.

:big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2:

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Assignment: Mastering a Skill 100.0 100.0 Comment: Content and Development
    70 Points Points Earned
    70/70
    Additional Comments:
    All key elements of the assignment are covered in a substantive way.
    * Student identifies a skill which all people should master.
    * The essay is 750 words in length. All key elements of the assignment are
    covered in a substantive way.

The content is comprehensive, accurate, and /or persuasive.
    * Student describes why people would benefit from having the identified skill.
    * Student names the consequences of not having the skill.
    * Student effectively persuades the instructor that all people should master the
    skill.
    The paper develops a central theme or idea, directed toward the appropriate
    audience.
    Major points are stated clearly; are supported by specific details, examples, or
    analysis; and are organized logically.

Readability and Style
    15 Points Points Earned
    15/15
    Additional Comments:
    Paragraph transitions are present, logical, and maintain the flow throughout the
    essay.
    The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment.
    Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
    Sentences are well-constructed, with consistently strong, varied sentences.
    Sentence transitions are present and maintain the flow of thought.

Mechanics
    15 Points Points Earned
    15/15
    Additional Comments:
    The essay is laid out with effective use of font styles and white space.
    Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed.
    Spelling is correct.

Total
    100 Points Points Earned
    100/100
    Overall Comments:
    The purpose of this assignment was for students to persuasively express a
    personal opinion in writing. Nice job with this essay assignment. Keep doing a
    good job!

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Next time I have write I will upgrade to catfishing

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    That's how I was grading too using tone and mechanics and structure, Literacy is a big deal in the schools and with NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, so they are making all of us grade student writing and make them write.... They have Jr level End of Course tests now and have to pass or remediate ( must have an 80 to pass remediation) or they don't graduate until they do.

You can have a mistake or 2 or 3 in a paper, as long as the criteria is being met and it's in different areas of the rubric (key), not repetitive...YAYAYAYYAYAY!!!!!! I knew you did good!!!

TOLD YA SO-- TOLD YA SO!!!

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    But there are only 749 words!...W

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Made ya look:wink:...W

11. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    had a bad day until i read this, thanks brother!

12. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Yep I checked the word count again 786 words

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for sharing your work with us, I enjoyed the read

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My stepmother is a teacher. We went to dinner recently and she told me that NO ONE can get an 'F'????? They have to let them test and retest until they pass. What the hell is up with that logic???

That has nothing at all to do with your paper but but it still gripes my butt seeing the crap (lack of effort) my stepkids put out and get decent grades???????

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Correct. Also we have to file failure procedures if all that FAILS and make 5 contacts with the parents before they can recieve an F. Most don't contact you back, either.

16. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Oh and there's more, too at least here in AR where I teach...When your EOC's and state tests are scored and you find out how many were "proficient" you also have a certain percentage of improvement you must meet each year, no matter what the statistics of the class beneath them are.

The downfall to that is....

Say you have a "good class" test out, and that's not unusual to have a class as a whole that tests out higher than the ones below it, by nature of the collective class members, and then you have 2/3 average/slighty above average classes coming up to test behind them, meaning they have basic skills and alot of them will test out, but they display a lack of abstract and upper level thinking skills, in short, that should be in place by the time they get to the high school level.

According to NCLB (no child left behind) you better have the % of improvement REGARDLESS of the ability of the class members as a whole. Without going into to all the implications of that for us, NOW we got these kids bottlenecking in the grades below JR/SR level because they have come to the high school arena NOT prepared to do high school level work, and they are failing in classes, most of them because they would not study and do the work. Behind the scenes all kinds of stuff is going on with us in conjunction with our normal duties....we are having to perform interventions on our part, alot of it paperwork the state demands that's no good to the kids--thus interfering with the amount of teaching time we actually have (somebody gotta do it, you know) like remediations, tutoring sessions, etc,

None of us mind tutoring a kid that is trying and just can't get it, but the majority seem to lend themselves to students that just have no ambition or desire to do any better. It's tough and our school will put in place a no zero policy for them, meaning they don't understand the value of what not doing the work does to their grades, also there is NO tagging them out for GED anymore at my school.

In all actuality, the middle school no retention philosophy is invading the upper grade levels and it's a sad state of affairs trust me, we no longer have the ability to show them how it's REALLY gonna work in society through their performance in the school system especially the upper grades. Nobody's boss is gonna have a NO FIRE YOU policy I can assure you of that.