75 Mercury will not run

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wsellers, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wsellers

wsellers New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Model 75ELPTO. My Mercury quit out on the lake the other day after only 10 minutes of run time. I lost power, then slowly reduced rpm until it sputtered out all together. I have spark on all 3 cylinders. The fuel bulb will pump up. I seem to have fuel pressure on the carb side of the fuel filter(I removed the plastic tie and lifted the hose with a screwdriver and fuel sprayed out). I have not cleaned the carbs yet. Wanted to see if there was something else to check first. When I crank the engine it will only occasionally fire once at first and then nothing. Thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You need to get the ignition system diagnosed before you piss away alot of money on the wrong problem.

3. wsellers

wsellers New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'll be diagnosing the ignition system as soon as I have time and I'll let you know what I find.

4. wsellers

wsellers New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have begun my troubleshooting of this ignition. I have found that the stator ohm reading is out of the specs given in the book I have. It says that the stator ohm reading between the green/white and the white/green wires should be 660-710. I have a reading of 1101 ohms. Is the book specs correct and do you think this is the problem. I do have spark on all cylinders but it seems weak to me. I'm not sure. Thanks