74 Johnson 50 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KGK20, Mar 29, 2007.

1. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    i JUST BOUGHT A 74 JOHNSON 50 HP AND i PUT IT ON MY BOAT i GOT IT RUNNING BUT CANT FIND THE PEE HOLE DOES IT HAVE ONE DOWN ON THE LOWER UNIT BY THE SCREEN THERE IS A LITTLE HOLE SOME WATER WAS COMING OUT OF BUT NOT SURE IF THAT WAS IT .The manufactures I.D. NO. is 50ESL74M.I also was wondering I have a 81 evenrude 50 hp with power trim and was wondering if i could put johnson power head on the evenrudre loweruint so i could use the power trim? but the evenrude has a pee hole up high were normaly is. Model # E50TLCRM serial#J0438945.not sure if those are O or 0.apreciate any helpOne more thing not sure if it started to overheat but after I had running fort short time the shifter sarted buzzing never heard it make that noise before when it was hooked up to evenrude.I am kind of affraid to start it again with out getting advice first. I dont want to burn it up. Thanks Keith

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That 74 doesn't have a pee hole it spits the water out of the exhaust relief holes about mid way up the back of the lower leg. As for the lower unit on your other one fitting you new one or 74 one I don't think it will. I think in 1979 they changed them some what. I will do some research on and get back to you.
    Your alarm could be over heat signal. When running again take the cover off and feel the head right above the top plug and it will let you hold your hand on it and will be hot but not overly hot. If YOU CAN'T hold your hand on it long then it is getting hot. Take the T stat out and run it with out it long enough to see if that cures the problem and also if you don't know the last time the impeller was chyanged then I would install a complete water pump.

3. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    thanks for the advice what is a T stat?

4. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    when it was running it was pretty hot.were woul would be the best place to get a water pump and would that be hard to change?

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    keith if you are in a hurry for the answer :lol: seeing how willard is not on i can probly help a little he gave me an addy in one of my threads yeterday pm me and il pass it on to you

you can get a selocbook to help work on your motor at the site aswell