73 Evinrude 50HP OB

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catmanjack, May 30, 2006.

1. OK boting buddies: I took my unit out to the lake for the first time this year. Tested the batteries... A-OK. Turned the key and nothing. After some cussing and discussing I pulled out my current tester and started poking around. I have 12 volts to the starter assist solinoid and to the ground. When I turn the switch (all connections look good and have engaged the neutral kill switch) there is no sound or anything. There is also no current from the solinoid to the starter. Big question is there a way to determine if it is a defective swich or a bad solinoid???? Also which is more likely to be busted??? Please help.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jump the solenoid from the small stud with yellow wire with the red tracer line to the battery positive stud and if your solenoid engages, you have other problems than the solenoid. Possibly the switch.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Test this wire with meter to ground when key is turned it should have voltage if swich is good. and above advise works.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just because a battery shows 12volts, doesn't mean it has the power to crank an engine, have your battery(s) load-tested if they're in question.

Smitty

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Great advise, be sure you have a good battery with a full charge.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    A few weeks ago several of us were down on the lower St. Francis river. Coach (Steve Adams) had the same problem you are describing. We thought the solenoid was bad and went the local parts store and got a new one. Installed it on the engine and nothing. After checking for current with a light, we disconnected the battery and pulled the starter. The brushes that carry the current to the starter were shot. I mean they were completely shot. If the battery checks good, and jumping the solenoid checks good, pull the starter and take it to a repair shop. You can get it rebuilt much cheaper than buying a new one.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If yes, measure voltage at the starter terminal to battery ground with starter engaged.
    If 12 V, repair or replace starter.
    If less than 9V measure voltage at large solenoid input terminal (from battery).
    If 12V, replace solenoid.
    Solenoid does not click when key is turned to start. Measure voltage at small solenoid terminal.

0 volts? Troubleshoot kill switch (lanyard connected?), battery, starter switch and neutral start switch in controller.