72 or 73 johnson

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by hunted, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    got either a 1972 or 1973 johnson/evinrude 60 hp with electric shift.we need to replace the water pump but not sure if the electric shift will give us any difficulties.my dad was pulling it apart and he said it seemed like it didn't want to come apart so he didn't force it in case something was holding it up he should know about.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats the shifter rod holding it. pull the foot down as far as it will go, then look inside. u should see the rod connected on both ends. get a small wrench and losen one end , the foot should slide off. when u pull the water pump off be careful not to lose the very tiny pin.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't believe an electric shift motor has a shift rod. Make darn sure to tie/tape a cord to the two electrical wires which goes into the lower unit. Far as it sticking, I guess they can do that, but every time I've helped someone who has had a sticking lower unit, they have left a bolt fastened. If you don't have a manual on the process, I'd recommend you go to the public library and see if they have a manual for your motor. If they do, Xerox the pages dealing with the lower unit removal and impeller replacement.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh

yeah,i just ordered the repair manual through the library this morning since someone else has it checked out right now.

thanks for the info guys.