72 Johnson Sea Horse 9.5 Outboard Motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by solomon, Jan 31, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Bobpaul, it's been a pretty good while since we talked about this, but I need to change the water pump out on my little 9.5. Whenever you get a chance I was hoping we could talk a little about it. Thanks in advance.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Robert is gonna be out a couple days. If I can help just let me know
    I have one of those little punkin head motors myself.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I will accept help from anyone. I'm trying to get the lower unit off. I took off the four bolts holding it on and it dropped down about 1 1/2", where I can see in, but it won't come down any further. What's up with that :confused:

Are they good motors? This one probably wasn't ran for about 20 hours, and then it was put up until my uncle gave it too me last summer. It seems to be pretty clean.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea they are pretty good motors. The exhaust seals were bad about burning out and letting exhaust up into the hood and making the engine stall out.

I can't remember which it is but I almost think you have to put it in reverse to let it down to disconnect the shift rod.

When it was put up was it drained of all the gas in the carb if it wasn't take the carb off and soak it good and rebuild before starting it.

If putting it in reverse doesn't do the trick let me know and I'll run out to the shed and look at mine and see if it will jar this old brain of mine.

I went back and reread your post and if its down that far then look inbetween the upper housing and the lower unit and you should see a brass sleve that has two scres in it.
    Take a long narrow screw driver and take the bottom screw out.
    The screw will have a hex head on it with a slot to use screw driver on.
    I always use a 1/4 drive extenson and socket myself but can be a little tricky.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea they are pretty good motors. The exhaust seals were bad about burning out and letting exhaust up into the hood and making the engine stall out.

I can't remember which it is but I almost think you have to put it in reverse to let it down to disconnect the shift rod.

When it was put up was it drained of all the gas in the carb if it wasn't take the carb off and soak it good and rebuild before starting it.

If putting it in reverse doesn't do the trick let me know and I'll run out to the shed and look at mine and see if it will jar this old brain of mine.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I reread your post and if it is down that far just look inside your unit and you will see a brass bracket hooked to a rod that looks like it is running up thru it.
    Take you a long narrow screw driver and loosen the top screw.
    Then take the bottom screw all the way out. You might have to spread the brass fitting a little to make it turn the shift rod aloose.
    I hope I haven't confused you here.

That brass collor will be flat and a little long and will be rounded on one edge and flat with a slit in the other edge.
    The shift rod has an end on shaped like a little ball this slips up into the connector .
    When you get ready to put it back togeather put you a little grease on the drive splines but not much on top of the spline as this will prload the drive shaft in to the engine.
    Install your water pump and put you some dishi washing liquid in the cup and slip the cup over the impeller while twisting the drive shaft in a clock wise movement. Push down on the cup at the same time doing this.
    Don't worry about it to much if you think you put it in turning the wrong diriction because when it starts it will right itself in the right direction.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Alright I got it off, the housing off the pump, got the shaft out, and took the impeller out. Amazingly the impeller inside was barely worn and felt very pliable. That things over 30 years old!

Next question. Is the new impeller supposed to fit so tight into the housing? The fingers on it have to be bent back for it to fit in there.

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I think you answered my question before I could ask it.

I got a carb kit to put on it too.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you don't want to buy a gal of berryman carb cleaner to do just that one carb.
    Take you a bucket big enough to put the carb in after you strip it and get you about a half gal of vingar and pour over it and added some water say almost a quart.
    Let it soak over night and then wash it down good and spray every crook and crevice and hole out good with air.
    Follow up with a can of spray carb cleaner and be sure to clean the jets out good.
    Chang the gaskets out and the needle and seat. The base gasket needs to be changed out if you can locate one. If you can't I'll look in my junk drawer in the shed and I might have one. Don't know for sure but I might.

10. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    bubbakat, I've got everything figured out except one thing. I've got the o-ring that goes on top of the shaft, and the water pump kit came with two seals. One went in the bottom part of the pump. The other according to the diagram goes on top of a washer and under the o-ring on top of the housing. When I took it apart, this seal was not there, nor was the washer. You can see what I'm talking about in the attachment.

Attached Files:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you buy the whole kit and was they in the old pump when you took it out.

The one should be a rubber groment
    I went and cked the parts list I think those are sold seperate. If there is no sign of water in the lower then use the old ones

12. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that those pieces weren't in the motor when I took it apart.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Oh ok
    I might have misread it.
    This old mind ain't as sharp as it use to be.:) :)

Be sure to let me know how it turns out.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If you are taking the jets out count the turns and write them down. That way the carb will be set close to where it was.
    Bill
    P.S.
    Bubbakat you are good!

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm still trying to figure out if I need to order more parts:crying:

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What kind of parts are you thinking about here?

Water pump or carb,

17. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    water pump. I can't figure out about the washer and seal the diagram said was supposed to go on top of the water pump housing.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That should be a seal that goes in the big hole where the shaft goes down thru the water pump housing. That is used to keep the water in the water pump so it will be forced up thru the tube to the power head.

19. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    well yes then. I've definitely got something wrong. I'll have to post pictures or something. I can't figure out where to put the seal in the top. I pretty sure there's parts missing from the old pump. The second seal that came in the pack is too small to just fit in the top of the housing. There's no washer either like on the diagram.:mad:

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My e-mail is in my profile send me a pix of what you have. I suspect the little one will be the seal for the shift rod.