72' Johnson...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kansas_catman_16, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    when i turn the key on the motor it sputter and will try to start but it just wont start. its not the battery connection and sometimes when i turn the key all i get is a clicking sound:confused2: can someone help me out. ive tried everything and idk wat else to do

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man it sure sounds like a battery to me, I know you said it wasn't. But sometimes even the smallest bad connection can give you these problems. You sure the battery is fully charged? Tried to give it a jump start? Could have a selenoid going south also.

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    It sounds like the connection at one end or the other, you might make sure the cable ends are good and clean,and check where they connect to the starter, Im really just not a boat mechanic, but if it were a car it might be the silanoid starting to go . make sure the ends ,where they attach to the cables are not corroded you might clean everything and put a little lithium grease on I usually just keep tinkering till I find the problem, GOOD LUCK

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Might check the ground from the battery to the engine block, sounds like vibration from starting has a factor. The connection at the block needs to be clean, paint free and tight.

5. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I would have to agree it sounds like a bad battery.

just to be clear have you had turn over with the starter and not start , or are you saying it just clicks?

If it has turned over and sputtered but not start , it just may need a carb cleaning.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I also know you don't want to hear it, but I would venture the problem is either in the battery, the cables, or the places the cables connect. Take the time to trouble shoot the system fully. You can test the starter by jumping the solenoid.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well hook some jumper cables to motor red on the hot post of battery black to block if it turns good bad cable connection if it still does it bad starter

8. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    it does both at times im not to good with older boat motors

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take all connections loose and clean them, I mean with a file and a wire brush. Then like lawerance said if it doesn't work then jump the solenoid and see if it works. The first thing to do is test the battery to see if it has enough juice in it by taking it to auto zone and let them load test it.

10. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    ok that worked. it turns over now but still wont start????????

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is this a new to you motor or have you had it for awhile and it just started this. How long has it been since it ran good last and when was the last time it was tuned up and what type of plugs does it have in it and what gap are they.

12. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    no had it for three years it was running pretty good before winter time. it hasnt been tuned up since mayb the first yr we had it:eek:oooh: we've tried to get it tuned up but no one will service it:confused2: