70lb Catfish on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shimano, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  2. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    pretty cat.. glad to hear that let it go. fish that big deserve to be put back. thanks for sharing that.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I hate to say this guys but that fish on that screen was not 70lbs. Believe me, it would be alot bigger. That don't even look like a 45lber.

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    it didn,t look 70 lbs to me either but still a nice blue for lake wyile i would like to pull it in

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    You guys told me to get new scales after I caught the one I did out of Wylie. If that fish is 70lbs I really need to get a new scale. Still a good fish for Wylie.

6. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    good fish but no 70 pounder

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That one you're holding in the avatar might just make it, though. :wink: Very nice, Cary.

8. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUTTA MY MOUTH. LOOKED MORE LIKE MY
    33#.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats to the angler on an awesome fish, and a big slap on the back for releasing that fish alive. Great job!! :wink: Lunch on me anytime down at T-Bones on Lake Wylie!! :tounge_out:

I have that exact same Bass Pro Shop rainsuit. The embroidered logo on the bib pants is 3" wide. I measured the fish and it appears to measure out to around 37"-38" to the fork in the tail, so it would probably be around 40"-42" with a pinched tail.

My new avatar came out Lake Wylie yesterday and I swear it could be the twin of the fish he caught, but mine only weighed 40 pounds. :eek:oooh:

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
  11. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can tell all y'all that fish is not even close to the 70lb. mark !
    If you look at the Carolina Catfish Club and the Cawtawba Catfish Club tourney pics you will see fish of the same caliber that were weighed on tourney scales. Lake Wylie is my home lake and this is a good blue for the lake, but it is not a BIG WYLIE BLUE, by far.:wink:
    billfish76 caught one of the BIGGINS and I was there to see it in person and the scale read 64lbs.
    Thats a good catch for any angler and congrats on the T.V. coverage and Im just glad the fish was released.

Enough said......

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats an encouraging clip I like to see anybody doing well. always hope to land one of those myself

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    A famous sports writer once told me, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". :crazy:

Anyone who is featured in print or on TV is at the mercy of the writer or the TV personality, and what the writer says gets turned into fact. I say all this because the angler could have easily said jokingly, "I thought it weighed 70 pounds", and all of a sudden the fish becomes 70 pounds. :eek:oooh:

Anyway you look at it he needs to be commended for releasing the fish. That is the sign of an angler that is dedicated to catching big catfish. :wink: In the end that is what needs to be taken away from this story.

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    The fish in my avatar was 67 pounds

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The Wylie fish are getting bigger/better and so is the fishing. It will be nice when we can drift and catch fish like the one on the Al Conklin report. I can't wait.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    We can in the right places. Ask Wyliecat.....

17. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I saw that story yeasterday morning when Al reported it,I said to myself,boy he sure got one over on Al:crazy:.I was thinking 35-40lbs most,if that fish weighed 70 then Carys went 125 easy.I am glad he released it alive though:wink:,man Wylie sure is coming on strong.

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...It will be nice when we can drift and catch fish like the one on the Al Conklin report. I can't wait...."

Maybe one day. We can all dream. :eek:oooh:

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Ouch!:smile2: That is funny Cary.