70HP Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by efrith, Feb 3, 2009.

1. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    what would cause the center rod berring to lock up and leave the other two in good shape? :crazy:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Could have been running lean on your middle carb, which would cut down on the lubrication to that bearing. Or that bearing's number just came up. Was it the big end bearing or small end? I had a wristpin bearing eat it's lunch on mine this summer. Mine's a 1980 and it had the old style caged rollers. They've since changed to free floating bearings on the wristpin end so that's what went in it when I rebuilt it.

Sorry to hear about the motor. What else did it tear up when the bearing went?

3. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    not sure yet I just got it in and the center piston wont move.
    The motor is not mine and I am gad for it also has a cracked foot
    the gears are ok so I will change out the housing. Going to pull it
    down this weekend I will let you know witch bearing it is

Thanks

4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    What was the price of the rebuild and can you get a kit for it.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If it's an older motor you can probably get a remanufactured powerhead for between $1500 and $2000 depending on where you look.

They sell kits (I bought mine from Tri-State Marine in IL - found them on eBay) but the kits typically DON'T include main bearings - I paid $165 for the 3 main bearings in mine. Total bill for parts was around $1000, but that included the rebuild kit ($400), mains, 3 carb rebuild kits, new Boysen power reeds, a new head (it got bearing pieces pounded into it), and a new connecting rod to replace the one that had the bearing failure. Other than parts I had another $120 in machine shop costs to get all three cylinders bored .030 over.

You can do it cheaper, the manual says you can re-use the mains and other bearings, but I had insurance money and I figured if I was going to rebuild it I wasn't going to put 30 year old bearings back into a motor that I was putting this much time and money into. You can also only re-bore and oversize just one cylinder, but again, at $30 a cylinder to bore them and no extra cost for oversize pistons I had them all done instead of piecemealing it.

Pick up a good OEM shop manual and if you're mechanically inclined they're not bad to rebuild. Good luck!

Branden

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Branden thanks for the info. I have rebuilt two older merc-50 hp with
    no problems they were not as hard for me to rebuild than I thought
    they would be.
    I have not yet rebuilt a Johnson before so I thought I'll try one.

Wish me luck!!:cool2:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good luck! :wink: If you've rebuilt outboards before this one should be a piece of cake.