70hp Johnson T&T wiring question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Arkie55, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I need some help. I just bought a 86 Tourny TX Trcker with a 1978 70 hp Johnson with T&T. The old boat is in real good shape and the motor runs like a machine. The tilt and trim unit will raise the motor but will not let the motor down. This seems to be a direct wire T&T switch. The T&T motor has three wires coming from it. One is red. One is black. One is blue. The wiring coming from the switch located in the throttle handle has five wires. Two of the five wires does not go into the wiring connector. A red wire and a black wire. The three wires in the connector are a green with white stripe, blue with white stripe, and a smaller gauge wire that is brown. Logic tells me the red wire in this bunch is connected to the positive terminal and the black to the negative terminal. Now for the rest of the story.

Someone had cut the wires coming from the T&T motor and wired the connector back using wire nuts. The terminals in the connector block look a little rough to me. I know the motor works in both directions because I jumped the blue wire direct and the motor either went up or down, and then jumped the red wire from the motor and the motor went the other direction. I checked the switch with a multi meter and it shows the switch to be feeding current through the green/white wire with the switch pushed in either the up or down position. The blue/white wire shows current when the switch is pushed in the other directin. (is that as clear as mud?) Bottom line is I can raise and lower the motor by jumping between the red and blue wire coming from the T&T motor and I can lower the motor with the connectors connected using the switch on the throttle.

What do I want to know? How is this thing supposed to be wired? If the throttle switech is bad, how do I get it out? I need help!!!!

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you should have 2 relays going to the trim unit they are the same relay, switch them and see if it goes down,you will probably need a new relay,about 35:00 at a dealer

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    No relays on this unit. At least not that I can find. I'm pretty sure this is a direct wire unit.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    All of the I have seen has to have the relays or selnoid switches.

5. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    the relays are on the motor. they should be side to side. trace the wires comming bach to the motor. the tnt motor is a direct reversable motor.or trace the wires from the tnt motor to the relays.the switch in the handel ,you have to take the control apart.I just bought a switch and put it the dash.it is called a monetery switch. you have to hold to put power to the motor.the center lug is for power the top & bottom lugs are for up & down. hope this helps.
    robin

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey guys.
    Thanks for the help. More trouble shooting this morning revealed two bad switches (checked with multi meter). I pulled a switch out of the front of my ranger and wired it in. The tilt and trim worked like a charm. Looks like I need to buy a couple of switches.