7000iCS PRO ROCKET

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, Feb 15, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would like to know if the 7000iCS PRO ROCKET is worth the extra money when compared to the 7000C3i. I know the PRO ROCKET has the great cosmetic looks. I have a 6500 PRO ROCKET and it has dual cast controls and casts great. I assume the 7000 also has dual cast controls, but not sure. I have never owned a 7000 series Abu and plan to get one for bank fishing on a 12' rod, so distance is my top priority. Any input will be appreciated.

2. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I do know the new reels in either the C3 or CS Pro Rockets have the bigger centrifugal brakes. The older one had the small interchangable plastic or fiber brakes. The only thing different was the gear ratio 4.1:1 vs 4.3:1 with the later being the 7000 CS Pro Rocket. For myself it was not worth the money for a tiny increase in the gear ratio. The old 7000 CS Pro Rocket is still availabe.

I will say that the 7000 C3 are great casting reels and the CS Pro Rockets are likewise great casting reels.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just bought a new 7000cs pro rocket, not the new 7000i model. I don't like the new model for 2007. It looks cheap, feels cheap, and I just don't like the looks compared to the older model. There's some of the new pushbotton spool release models out there in store rooms.

With my preferences aside, I've got several 7000s, and can say that the Pro Rocket is worth the extra expense. It threw farther than any other 7000 I've owned over the year on the first cast. Some of my older "broke in" models I can get the same distance on my best casts, but first cast out of the box? I was impressed. The difference is the "rocket gears" they put in them. The main difference is the smoothness of the retrieve. I don't think that makes any difference fighting a fish, as I don't actually notice how smooth the reel is when cranking one in. However, it's nice if I'm doing alot of retrieving when jig fishing for stripers and have long distances to retrieve like fishing from the dam.

You can get the rocket bearings and just put them in your standard 7000, but they cost about 40 bucks. If you've already got a reel, or can pick one up cheap off of e-bay and do the conversion, you can sometimes do it cheaper. I actually got my rocket off e-bay new for 86 bucks.

I just "converted" an old 6500C3 ultra cast I've had for about 15 years. Since I was in need of finally replacing the bearings, I went ahead and got some to try. Now I just have to find the time to get out there and see how it does. I actually converted it to a C5 by adding bearings to the line guide and cog gear. I can let ya know later if it worked as good as the factory version.

Good luck on your choice.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you very much, just the info I was looking for.