7000I is it made in China?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Shad Man, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was looking at buying a bigger reel for blue catfishing. I have a few Abu 5000 and 6000 and a few other make and model reels like the old BassPro catmaxx, and the Tidewater but I am wanting a good reel that isn't junk. The last few fishing trips I have had trouble with alot of my (cheaper) reels locking up, drag not working right, grinding etc. So I decided to get some bigger reels to handle the pressure a blue can dish out and retire my older cheaper reels to channel cats before they are totally junk. My question is I seen that Catfish Connection has a 7000I RED for $90.60. This seems way too cheap for this reel. I was wondering if it was made in China since I could not find anything on it in the catalog or the internet. If it is made in China does it still have the quality of the Sweden made ones? If anyone has bought one let me know if you liked it or not.

I am currently reading the post about the China vs. Sweden now so I hope I'm not missing it in there.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm not familiar with the particular model you mentioned,,,however..
    IMO, you'll Love the Abu 7000's ,, I use them almost exclusively,, and LOVE them..:big_smile:
    also, I think they are all made in taiwan or china now.. but, I'd think AG has a good quality control system in place, :wink:
    My favorite models are the 7000iC3, and the Big Game models. But, I have several different other models, and they all work very nicely..C's, B's, LD's, HSN's etc..
    Parts availability, and rebuildability are good. Yea, new word there!!! :crazy:
    I use 50# mono on mine, and work the heck out of them..:smile2:
    I'd doubt you'll be sorry,, If you don't like it,, you should be able to get your money out of it...:wink: Provided it's a legitimate model...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin I would save my money until I found one made in sweden, You might consider the 6500 Pro Rocket made in sweden and use power pro braid. This would give you more line capacity. They also have a $20.00 rebate on reels over $109.00.

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the advice. Money is just tight right now and I can't afford to pay $100 for a junker reel. I bought my girlfriend a 5600C5 Mag-X (made in Sweden) this summer at Cabelas for $40 on clearance. I know its small but I couldn't pass it up for the price and the fact that she can handle and cast it great. She caught a few fish with it including a 30 pound blue but the reel has a problem now. The nut that holds the handle on will not stay tight. As soon as you put some pressure on the reel the handle gets loose. I have tried to tighten it up but it keeps coming loose. That make reel has a metal hex washer( I know this is not what its called) that looks like its supposed to help keep the nut tight but somehow the handle always gets loose. I think I am going to put lock tight on it. I don't know if this is the way to fix it but I have tried everything. It just irritates me becuase I told her that this reel would last her a lifetime and it didn't even make it through a season. It also makes me mad because she used to love it and now she always leaves the rod cover on it and grabs one of my other reels because she says its junk.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For some reason I've been seeing a assortment of prices for this reel lately. Normally it goes for around $100 but Abu wants $149...dunno why.

They aren't as fancy as other Abu's ( bushings & one bearing ) but never the less they are pretty good reels. I wouldn't worry about where it's made from. I've had Abu's from a few places and they've always done great.

I think this is the one your talking about.

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=132510&sk=132487&p=PUR7000i (1116240)

Links is to AbuGarcia.com,,the above might not be working

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Whats the difference between the 6500 and the 7000 as far as fishing goes. I just don't want to buy a 6500 and be like crap this $125 reel is too small for the blues I'm chasing and have to get a bigger one. I now have 2 Abu's but I just got them this summer and haven't handled many others so I'm just asking questions. I am a visual person and I have to hold a reel in my hands to decide if I like it or not so this catalog buying seems like a crap shoot to me.

7. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah thats the reel. And I was thinking the same thing. Catfish Connection wants $90 and Abu wants $149 thats why I was confused. I figured the $90 was made in China and junk and the $149 was made in Sweden and a good reel. Thats why I am asking you guys so I can make an informed decision.

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    6500's are great reels, its all I use atm. The major difference will be that the 7000's hold bigger and more line,,they sometimes have lower gears too...just depends on what reel.

6500's are perfect reels if you don't need a lot of line. I use the 6500C3 ( $80) day in and day out.

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    What depth of water and current will you be fishing ?

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks
    I just need to go to Cabelas or BassPro and handle all the reels and decide what I like. Then leave and go buy one on the internet for half the price.:wink::wink:

11. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Right now I am fishing the Ohio River mostly in Indiana depths ranging from 35 to 65 foot and current usually is minimal. I like vertical drifting with about 8 oz of lead to keep my line vertical. But I am moving to Texas next May so I think I will be fishing lakes more so I need to consider that before I make the purchase.

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    For some reason this way of fishing has been brutal on my older reels that I have had for years. I have really messed 2 or 3 of them up bad. I am just hoping with a little TLC they will be good channel reels for years to come but I am not holding my breath.

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Gotcha..... Sounds like a 6500 might work for ya but that will depend what its like when you move. While looking decide how deep, how strong of current, if you drift out the back you need a lot of line, if its gonna be a long distance casting reel, and also what test line. After that you will have a better idea...it really comes down to how much line you ill need. I myself rather use the 6500's when possible.

The abu 6500/7000's are tough and will handle everything you can throw at them. I fish no-stop and my reels do perfect.

I agree some TLC is needed...and I admit that I baby mine...I cant afford mine the break on me ; )

g'luck
    -Jim-

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks again you have really been a great help.

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Very welcome...glad to help ; )

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Most of the bigger Abu's are made in China by Abu Garcia on Abu patents. Same reel in my opinion, built with the same parts and cheap labor. My 7000ics Pro Rockets are made in China, so are the Big Game 9,000 and 10,000's. The 7000i is a good reel design, just aint all gussied up. The nice thing about em is that they are like small block chevy's, upgrade and hot rod parts are plentifull. You can turn an i into an ics with a few upgrade parts. I would not be afraid of the Catfish Connection 7000i, the $90.00 price is average for that reel. The Abu price is suggested retail, which is usually high. Outfitters buy in bulk and get a price break, thats why C/C is cheaper than Abu on the same reel.

17. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I definitely favor the Swedish made reels over the Chinese made reels. I find the Swedish and even the ones made in Taiwan to have been better for casting than the newer ones with the restrictive bearing hubs.

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use Abu 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets and I can assure you the 7000ics Pro Rocket which is made in China is not junk. Spool with #65 Power Pro and you will be set to handle most any fish you catch. Good luck.

19. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for all the input guys. I just found out from the Marina today that when I hit a log a week ago on the Ohio River that I tore everything out of my lower unit. Its going to be around $500 just for a used one. The reel may have to wait now.:angry::angry:

20. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    Some of those reels are made in china how I know is I puchased one got it home and seen it was made in china which I went back and got my money back on it because I dont like the china reel they dont put as much affort in them