7000c3 vs BG 7000/9000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 28, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have used my 7000c3 for 2 years and love the reel, always wanted one and my wife got me one. Now I want a BG 9000 or 10000, even a BG 7000 might do. Now for my own benefit is it worth spending the extra 40.00 bucks on the BG reels, I don't have a boat where I can really fish for large cats, however I do live in O'FALLON Illinois 20 miles from ST. LOUIS so I guess I could do alot of river fishing. But really most of my fishing is on the lakes, but if I decide to fish the river would the 7000c3 be enough or do I need one of the big games. Reason for all the questions is I want to buy a new reel when BASS PRO has there sale on bring in a working reel and get so much off a new one. Bought my Penn 320 GT2 last year, also have a Quantum Iron, Penn Jigmaster 500 (one of the old ones in mint conditions), and 3 other smaller ambassadeur reels.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Harvrad. The abu 7000C3 is more than enough for the Miss river. That is all I use. If you just want to get a new reel The BG 9000 looks awesome. I dont think the extra size will gain you anything though.

I want one of the BG 9 or 10000's myself, just because.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 7000BG is no better in my book than the 7000C3, And I do have both..I also had a 10000, but it was way to big for me.

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks guys, I also love the7000c3 and the way I can cast it without hardly backlash if at all, I figure I'll save my money and get another 7000 I figure I'll be able to get one for under 90.00.

5. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    "Just because" can lead to a shed full of rods, reels and a butt load of other gear. I have that problem too!!

IMHO, the 7000 series is all the reel a serious catter could ask for.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Swift water. I know what you mean. You oought to see my shed full. I recently picked up a older mitchell garcia rod and reel from a guy in my town. It is the neatest old rod and reel. It kinda got me itching. I ended up geting 2 more just like it on EBAY. They look great in my sports/TV room and the best part is the wife likes them also. The one rod on ebay was just like new and they are mid 60s to early 70s rods.

7. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Stick with the 7000' unless you plan on going somewhere other than rivers and lakes.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I have a 9000, and for the most part I think I would have been happier with a 7000-C3. With the bigger reel you end up trading some casting distance for a little more spool capacity and a stronger drag. I take some comfort in that I've got the stronger drag if a 100lb'er happened along, but I've yet to have a chance to put any of my reels to that test. The 7000 and 9000 are both pretty good choices.

9. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Id sacrifice a 100 dollar reel for a 100lb fish anyday. lol

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have both the C3 and Big Game 7000, basically the same reel in my opinion. Both are very good reels in my opinion. You shouldnt have any problems bringing in bigger cats with these reels.

11. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    I also have a 7000C3 and a BG9000. I bought the 9000 cause I got a good buy on it and thought the gold color looked trick. But that extra 4 oz in weight on the 9000 is very obvious. It is a very nice real but I wouldnt think it be all that needed for Cat. I doubt if I'd ever come across a Cat in my lifetime that my 7000 wouldnt handle. Dont get me wrong, I am after big cat. I also would not be surprised if my 6500's never got over matched. They all are great reels.
    Danny