7000 red

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 4/0 kahle, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    any one seen the 7000 red abu garcia on catfish connection's web site???
    it looks diferent from the 7000i and looks like a bigger version of my 6000....
    i am thinking of trying one...any thoughts???? thanx,,,,,,,:cool2:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have both. The 7000i is the newer version of the 7000. I wouldn't take anything for them.

3. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    how does it compare to my 6000 and the 7000i in terms of size, function etc... i see the 7000 red has ''push button'' release vs 7000i ''lever'' release...what i really need to do is get my hands on one i guess to actually know if i like it...:wink:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The 7000 and the 7000i both have more line capacity and are bigger in size than the 6000.

5. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    I've got two 7001 reels that I replaced the spool bushings with bearings. How do these compare to the 7000i? Would it be worth the extra cost to get the newer reels?

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    As far as I know, they have not gone up in price and are the same reel with a few minor improvements. The 7001 is the left handed version and is equally as good as the right handed model. Yours, I believe, have been turned into 7001c3's by adding bearings instead of bushings.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    By putting the spool bearings in to replace the spool bushings, it converts it to a "C" model. If you also add the crank shaft or handle shaft bearing, then it makes it a C3. About the biggest diffreence in the "i" models is that it has an anti-reverse bearing on the crank shaft instead of the ant-reverse dog. That means that there's about a quarter of an inch of backward travel on the handle in the previous model as opposed to the instantanious anti-reverse. I have seen anti-reverse bearings slip backwards if they had too much lubricant in them.

I've never had any problems setting the hook on the older models, and still use some of the older 5000/6000 reels that have the anti-reverse dog instead of the new anti-reverse gear. I've never lost a fish for the handle traveling 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch backwards on the hook set.

8. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Will the anti-reverse on the new models fit the older reels? I have the anti-reverse on my Shimano reels I use for bass fishing and would like to have it on the 7001. Thanks for the info on the reels.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't tried to install one yet. I've got to get my hands on one of the new ones and measure them to see if it would be feasible. The anti revverse gear is a very tight fit in the shaft hole of the side plate, so I can see were you could ruin a side plate very easily if you don't get it pressed in just right.

I never worried about it as it's never been an issue. I look at it as a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The older 7000c3 has bearings in it and the 7000 red and 7000b green have bushings in them.

The new 7000C3 "i" models have the Carbonex drag washers in it and bearings the 7000"i" have bushings and metal drag washers.

I love my 7001i's and I don't really see the need to put bearings in the reel the bushings are broken and the reel casts great. I will how ever be replacing the drags with some Smooothie drag washers this winter though. Oh and the New "i" models have a new beefier power handle which I like a lot more than the older style ones.

11. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    i was looking at those the other day and was tempted to buy one but i backed out so is it worth the money and what rod would you use on it

12. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i am now lookin' at a 7000c3 at academy for under 100 bucks...i am thinkin' a 1pc ugly stick m-h 8' rod for all around fishin' or just puttin' it on my 6.5 south bend heavy action for now...whatcha think??? :cool2:

13. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    i think that will be a sweet set up bro

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Consider them SOLD JW, you are alright, I don't care what they say. I'll PM my address to you. Can't wait to get my free reels. It's almost like Christmas!:0a31:Got any rods that you won't take anything for either?

15. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    this is what my dad fish with the new7000s he has a set of the old red which seem to be pretty good reels but when u compair them to each other i like the new one better seem to thorw alot smoother i bought him a set of breakaway bearings for them and it relly woke them up:wink:

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the reg ole plain jane red 7000 as well as my 7000C3 & 7000c3i's.