7000 cs rocket probs?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinphenom, Aug 17, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have had this reel for over a year and have always had this problem with it.. to start.. this thing casts a mile! I love the distance it can get..

But... it seems like the spool and the line spins faster than the actual line coming out of the reel..

also after putting a brand new spool of 25lb BG.. after the first couple casts the line is still lined up straight but after about 10 casts or so.. the line does not line up evenly with the levelwind :confused2:

just about anytime i've tried to cast with large bait it backlashes.. its uncontrollable.. this CS Rocket is the only reel i have this problem with..

I have 3 other 7000's and a 6500 big game and have never had this same problem with any of them..

Anybody have any suggestions what it might be? or how i can get this fixed? any help would be appreciated..

Ken

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First check spool tension. I use the slow drop method and it works for my 7000's. Stay safe and good luck!!!:wink:

3. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    that would be the knob on the left correct? opposite of the drag star?

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, the knob on the left. Just tighten it up untill you can slowly drop your bait and weight. That always works on my 7000ics Pro Rockets.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im pretty shure the knob on the right, under the handle, should be tight. if not it could loosen up and change the cast setting you made with the left knob, also if the right knob is loosining up the spool will shift around and cause slightly irregular line lay and your spool to turn too fast. so tighten the right tight and ajust withe the left and see how that does.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also believe you need to focus on the left knob. I have this reel and since the Pro Rockets have dual cast controls, it takes a little time to adjust them. You may also check to see how many brake blocks you are using. I like to use 2 for my 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets and I remove them all for the regular 6500c3. I don't know what part of Oklahoma you are in, but if you are around Keystone Dam, you need to find Tim Smith (Tiny), he will get your reel singing. Good luck.

7. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thank you all for your replies.. I have tried all of them... and nothing seems to work.. except for the one that is quoted above... the "right knob" that you speak of is the knob underneath the drag star correct>?

If so is there anything underneath the knob that i should try tightening? bc it looks like this knob is just some sort of cover...

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's a cap that puts or releases pressure on a rod that controlls the speed to which the spool turns. More pressure(tighter) will slow the spool speed, less pressure(loosen) will allow a more free flow and faster spool speed.

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    okay yea.. its definately not balanced.. I've tried playing around with it and it seems like I've made it more unbalanced..

anybody have any tips on the best way to balance the two knobs? by balance i mean just getting it so that the spool lines up evenly with the levelwind

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    that knob under the star drag is the alignment knob it has brass plates (shims) that center the spool. it is just a cover and it should be tightned all the way tight as you can get by hand or it will come loose and mess up your cast control settings. loosen the left a little then tighten the right TIGHT then look at the spool, does it move side to side by hand if so tighten the left side knob till you cant move the spool side to side. then look at the spool in relation to the sides of the frame it SHOULD appear centered. tightning the left knob to ajust for your cast may move the spool a little more to the handle side but probally not. now it may not line up perfectly with the levelwind but it should after you cast it or pull some line off and reel it back on, after doing all this it should stay in line with the level wind and cast good if not and the line is getting way off track and collecting heavly on one side or the other you may have damaged levelwind componets that need replacing.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    also make sure the paw screw is tight, the screw on the levelwind itself

12. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Whew! A logical answer! Brandon you are the man.. reps to you..

I'm gonna have to mess around with it.. but this sounds more like a real answer other than... " turn the left knob and wait for the line to come out slowly "

Thanks again brandon
    Ken

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    To slow a reel down, put heavier oil in the bearings or more brake blocks in.

14. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    This is how I tune my 7000's. First thing I do is remove the bearings from the spool and soak them in lighter fluid to remove the packing oil. After they soak for a while, I take them and put them on a chopstick,(go to the buffet and get a pair), and dry them with a hair dryer. While they are still warm, put a drop of oil on them. As pointed out in the above post, thicker oil makes the reel turn slower. Abu oil is thick and slow, and should keep the reel from backlashing. I use an oil called Red Rocket Fuel. It is thinner than Abu oil, but is still controlable in my reels. It is not always easy to find, (mail order is your best bet), and is expensive for such a small bottle. But it works well for me.
    I reinstall the bearings and put in 3 brake blocks. Then I tighten the right side (star drag side) cap. It usually tightens all the way down and still leaves the spool centered. Next, depress the spool release button. Take the left side cap and turn it clockwise until the spool starts turning clockwise with it. Stop turning. Then turn it counterclockwise. The spool will turn counterclockwise also. Turn the cap just until the spool stops turning with it. Now you have found your spools "neutral" position. Move the numbered ring to align the zero with the bald spot on the cap, and you will alway be able to glance at the dial and know how your spool is tensioned. If you're throwing into the wind, add a number, if you are trying for the other side of the lake, take one off. Don't over fill your spool with line. Keep it a tenth of an inch or a little more below the top of the spool. This is what works for me. FISH ON! Doug

15. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    okay.. I've done this half.. but whenever i cast the spool just doesnt line up with the level wind.. I've tried lining up the paw and level wind up with the line.. and then after 2 more casts the line is completely disaligned with the level wind again.. :confused2:

I'll probably need to send it in or something.. whenever I tighten the left side it doesnt affect the speed the line comes out of the spool as it should either..

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    fishinphenom, the other answers are logical too. A fast reel is a high maintenance item. They need to be tuned to your needs. Just turning a knob isn't going to have some magical effect.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the worm or paw or both may be damaged then. as far as the sppe it may naeed a good cleaning then.

18. bigm catfish

bigm catfish New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    fish phenom, call abu i have heard that there customer service is good. if you can contact tim smith he seems to be a good fellow and probally will help you out. bigm catfish

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    lol i dont know happened there :embarassed: i think it was supposed to say "as far as the speed goes it may just need a good cleaning". the bad thing with baitcasters when you find out the levelwind needs cleaning its usually too late. you could try cleaning it and putting some grease in the worm teeth that may keep it on track for a while but id guess it needs replaced.

20. Francachela

Francachela New Member

State:
    BOLIVIA
    Had a similar problem with my 7001i, the line used to be aligned with the guide but one morning started to misalign when retrieving and got a birdnests when casting, the culprit was the worm-shaft, had a small dent, check it under a good light :big_smile:looking for excesive wear or a dent, if damaged replace it. Easy job to do, you can find it on ebay, check the part number, there is a couple variants for 7000's. Hope it helps.