700-lbs of lead

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gonna make some sinkers saturday, I have never made them before..Or for that mater bought lead.

So here is waht I paied 50 cents a lb...So for 350 bucks I got 700-lbs I figure I got enough sinkers to last me the rest of my life

I have been paying A BUCK AND A QUATER PER EACH 5-OZ SINKER..

So I know I am coming out ahead...Hope to be home saturday with several thousand sinkers

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hord fishing tackle, I must have at least 500 8/0 circle hooks on hand at all time, along with 500 swivels..and at least 8-1lb spools of line..I feel naked without it.:smile2:

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Damn bro, I am jealous, paying 2.00 lbs a lb for lead here in Iowa.

I make my own sinkers, a few words of advice...

Keep the molds warm and lubricated, but not overheated...

empty molds immediately, don't leave the lead in them, you will regret it :eek:oooh:

Have fun, poor safe and be prepared for a long day brother!!!

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    DANG, that's about 2170 sinkers,,,, at 5 oz / unit,, lots of work, hope you have more than a 1 cavity mold.
    As you fill and drain, your leadpot, when it's on the full side,, drop a bit of parafin or wax into the hot lead, it'll smoke a lot, you can light that and burn off the smoke, but, it'll bring all the impurities to the top and you can spoon them out.

keep a little air blowing by where you're working....for your lungs...

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we have many pots,an many molds.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack is going to do all the work.... I'm going to sit back and relax! It's better to spend the entire day making a ton of lead than to do a few here and there, at least that's what we figure. You can save a ton by doing it this way, jsut takes time and dedication, I guess.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a lot of lead and a lot of sinkers!:crazy::eek:oooh: You guys have fun!:cool2:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jack make sure you have good ventilation ... don't want to breath much of those fumes ... Garry-

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    WOW with that much. We can start calling you a lead head. LOL
    There used to be a guy here, He poured Sinkers and jigs. He had a 10,000 pound block in his front yard. And would go out and cut a hunk off it and go to pouring.

Is yours soft lead? Or wheel weights? The soft lead mixed with the wheel weights make for nice sinkers. If its all wheel weights. Mine comes out less then the 5 oz using them.
    Pete

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jack,
    You are a sick, sick man......Just like myself:roll_eyes::wink::eek:oooh:...W

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Be sure you have good ventilation..I like doing mine outside on the porch or car port. The fumes can really mess you up. That is a lot of lead.:eek:oooh: Happy pouring and be safe.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats awesome guys, I cant wait to see the pile, I know we had a sinker party 2 years ago and me and Mellon are completely wiped out since then, Heck, if the average sinker is 4oz, thats 4 to a lb, I bet Mellon lost well over 100 lbs last year alone and Im probably right behind that, the Ohio River eats them like a fat kid on free candy!!
    Im still looking for a haul of lead like that Jack, let me know and Ill have you buy some for me too. Im planning on using Mellons Molds ( what a lifesaver that is to have someone with all the molds/pots since they are sooo dam expensive!!) and make some later this winter.
    Cant wait to see the pics guys!!
    Salmonid

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    WoW!!!

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Be careful and make sure you wear some kind of protective covering over your face. I'd wear a gas mask. Those fumes can't be too good for ya.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You fellas are gonna be working but in the long haul it definatly will pay off....Tis gonna be a pile:roll_eyes:

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    wow,thats a lot of lead,have fun and be sure to post some pics,lol

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree that the price of sinkers is rediculous!!!! I was at Kentucky Dam last spring and found the water to be really low one day. So I walked the bank and collected over 50 lbs of free lead sinkers and large treble hooks too. I mainly use 3 or 4 oz sinkers and I too am going to melt all these really big sinkers down into 3's. I had so much lead that I found it difficult to walk up the 125 steps to reach the parking area without stopping to catch my breath. Since they have allowed snagging below our dams here, it is easy to collect sinkers up to 16 oz. and get a lifetime supply of lead. I usually dont lose too many sinkers while fishing so I think I have a long time before I have to go looking for more lead.:cool2:

18. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Jack that's awesome! My brother runs a machine shop and is always getting me scraps from around the state. Junkyards and other places he gets his materials. Just last week he gave me over 100 lbs. Ya'll be careful! Good ventilation is a must and don't have any water or fluid near the pot. WATER and hot LEAD create explosion. they do not mix!

Oh yeah, you may want to see a Dr. about the OCD! :smile2:

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    So that is where my supply of lead went. I've done the same below the dam and at the backstops or mounds at firing ranges.

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I get my lead from the tire dealer where I buy tire. Free for the taking. Been dealing with him for years and ask about the old tire weights he said they are yours if ya want them.