Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I love odd gear...my favorite is the 2 speed low profile baitcasters shimano made

Although the digital Diawa spinning reel from the 80s is pretty cool

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I love odd gear...my favorite is the 2 speed low profile baitcasters shimano made

Although the digital Diawa spinning reel from the 80s is pretty cool
Hell yeah! I'm currently looking at some Russian made rods on Amazon right now they're called Minyu? Never heard of them before but they have quite a few different rods. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the idea is to have a reel that can take 40 lbs of drag at the strike, and not burn .
the rod and reel are in the rod socket , the rod and reel take the load in the rod holder not the fisherman.
having a reel with 70 lbs of drag is assuring,knowing that drag will never be smoked .

·
Registered
KY, USA
161 Posts
the rod and reel are in the rod socket , the rod and reel take the load in the rod holder not the fisherman.
having a reel with 70 lbs of drag is assuring,knowing that drag will never be smoked .
If we remove the other equipment from the conversation (rod, line, rod holder etc), like lets just hang 70 lbs of weight from the reel, I do not think that reel is going to be able to do this without breaking something else. My guess is the bail or spool will explode first. So having 70 lbs of drag is pointless when the rest of the components within the reel can not withstand the pressure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've been lucky enough to fiddle with a couple van stahls in the wild (not mine, i couldnt justify the price for what i do) but I doubt even their bail arm assemblies could withstand that pressure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ANYONE WHO CAN TAKE A 40 LB STRIKE WHILE HOLDING ANY ROD AND REEL IS ONE BAD ,HAND.
YES SIR ,AS SOMEONE WHO HAS A FEW DRAGS SMOKED, IT DOES NOT TAKE A BLUEFIN . .

·
Registered
31 Posts
If we remove the other equipment from the conversation (rod, line, rod holder etc), like lets just hang 70 lbs of weight from the reel, I do not think that reel is going to be able to do this without breaking something else. My guess is the bail or spool will explode first. So having 70 lbs of drag is pointless when the rest of the components within the reel can not withstand the pressure.
i a frog had wings, 70 lbs o drag is not pointless , the idea here is to have a drag that will not burn up ,that will hold that fish of a lifetime.
who is going to hang 70 lbs from a reel ,not me not on my reels, sorry hand that makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,222 Posts
I respect your opinion, but disagree, there is no need for 70 lb. of drag on anything, except maybe marlin, or bluefin. But my guess would be that even they dont use that much drag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I respect your opinion, but disagree, there is no need for 70 lb. of drag on anything, except maybe marlin, or bluefin. But my guess would be that even they dont use that much drag.
the idea here is to have enough drag , if one knows how to use it, For big fish, say 200+lb bluefin, you need equipment that can produce 30+lb of drag for extended periods of time.
thus the 60 - 70 lb drag, i have had drags smoked fishing the mississippi ,the drags lets the rod work if used correctly, If the angler has experience, he’ll know when to take the drag up and when to back off.”
the people that can hold 50 lbs of drag for extended time are few and far between , i sure am not one.

·
Registered
KY, USA
161 Posts
+1.

imho there isn't any fish in North America river (and most likely in the world) that need (require) 70 lb of drag to land.

Back to the discussion at hand, reel in the first post with 70 lb of drag. Has anyone bought it and confirm the drag?

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFykfjVcVQ

imho there isn't any fish in North America river (and most likely in the world) that need (require) 70 lb of drag to land.

Back to the discussion at hand, reel in the first post with 70 lb of drag. Has anyone bought it and confirm the drag?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I
the idea is to have enough drag ,so you loose a fish of a lifetime when it smokes your reel with 20 lbs of available drag, when a reel with 50 -70 lbs rated drag can handle a long run at 20 lbs or drag.

·
Registered
KY, USA
161 Posts
I posted "there isn't any fish in North America river (and most likely in the world) that need (require) 70 lb of drag to land. ", (river is underlined this time to help reading), and my reply is a youtube video of someone fishing... at the sea... maybe I should post something even more irrelevant to keep this thread going lol

I am outta this thread. Its been fun!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Personally I think the quality of components is more important then the max drag. If you got cheap washers that overheat quickly and lock up...then it wouldn't matter if the reel's rating was 100lb max drag. High quality washers (and good maintenance) are a bigger key to avoid smoking a drag stack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I posted "there isn't any fish in North America river (and most likely in the world) that need (require) 70 lb of drag to land. ", (river is underlined this time to help reading), and my reply is a youtube video of someone fishing... at the sea... maybe I should post something even more irrelevant to keep this thread going lol

I am outta this thread. Its been fun!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS

21 - 39 of 39 Posts