Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

This is a Diwa reel, (not a typo actual name is Diwa). The Diwa comes in size 8000, 10000, 14000 all 4:6:1 gear ratio and all 3 have 70lb drag, all for under $100 bucks. I call bs on this one. I'd like to see one of these in action hooked into a shark or something big. And not a Chinese knockoff brand shark either like a hammered head or a mack'oh shark or a great whiting shark a real shark that's not inflated and photo shopped into the picture. Available on Amazon BTW, with high reviews like a 5 star review titled, (buy one mow), again not a typo that's the actual review title.
This post may not make you laugh but hopefully you'll at least smile 馃槉
In the event that someone has one of these and it really works then I'll retract my bs statement while still smiling lol.

Registered
I can't tell you how much drag any one of my reels have. I simply try to set them so if a fish pulls hard enough, the drag works. Can't imagine hooking into anything on a spinning reel, or any reel for that matter, that would require that much drag. Imagine standing it the back of a boat hooked into a great white that decided to leave?WOW!

Registered
I'm not sure there's anything in production (maybe something custom made) that would handle that much. Even big game reels for marlin or bluefin don't come near that max drag.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I can't tell you how much drag any one of my reels have. I simply try to set them so if a fish pulls hard enough, the drag works. Can't imagine hooking into anything on a spinning reel, or any reel for that matter, that would require that much drag. Imagine standing it the back of a boat hooked into a great white that decided to leave?WOW!
I would love to see that video lol.

Registered
KY, USA
I bet most if not all buyer of this reel is fishing small fish, so it will work just fine. Anyone who is fishing large fish is not going to buy some unproven gear.

I do have to say I like how it looks.

Registered
Steven from Georgia
Only way your holding on with that much drag is in a fighting chair. Ill call B.S. on it too.

Registered
You would break a rod with that much drag.i got a kastking kapstan with 35lbs of drag and i cant keep that at barely half drag or the rod would bust with 65lb braid.not to mention the hook pulling out of a large flatheads mouth.i dont see the need for all that drag.

Registered
Seem's to me that all those fishing for the really big fish seldom catch many over somewhere between 30-50#. Sounds to me like the 100+ pounder's are a rather rare thing. Why gear up for something your not likely to catch in the first place? Saw a video on here , yesterday I think, where a 100# Blue was caught! Only one I've seen a video of anyone catching. Come to think of it there were two caught the same boat same day.

Getting a reel with 70# drag sound's similar to me as carrying a Sherman tank as a defense weapon!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Seem's to me that all those fishing for the really big fish seldom catch many over somewhere between 30-50#. Sounds to me like the 100+ pounder's are a rather rare thing. Why gear up for something your not likely to catch in the first place? Saw a video on here , yesterday I think, where a 100# Blue was caught! Only one I've seen a video of anyone catching. Come to think of it there were two caught the same boat same day.

Getting a reel with 70# drag sound's similar to me as carrying a Sherman tank as a defense weapon!
Agreed. But I do find odd gear really interesting. I posted a picture of an old Russian rod and reel on here a few week's ago that I found on Amazon its still currently out of stock but if it becomes available I'm getting it. I don't know that I'll ever purchase a Diwa tho lol too much drag for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts