70 hp mercury problems--Lower Unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by GMC FishHauler, Nov 27, 2006.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am leaking oil around my prob, and last time i took the boat out of water the gear oil had water in it. Any one else had this problem? Anyone know what i should do??

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like the prop seal may have went south on you. Only way to know for sure is to take the lower unit off and pressure test it to see what seal is leaking. You can do this your self or take it to a shop but until you fix it I would recommend draining the oil every trip to keep it from freezing up on yea.

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if it is seal, is it hard to replace?

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Mine is a 40hp we just finished taking my lower unit off and working on it..it's not real hard .....when u take the prop off there is a plastic ring around the inside that has a small tab folded over to keep the ring from turning..bend it out..the ring does require a special tool to turn it ...but it is made of plastic so we just cut mine into and pulled it out..a new ring was 5 bucks...while you got it off replace all the seals and impeller and impeller gaskets top and bottom gasket...you'll see a couple of bearings too make sure you clean all that stuff and oil it good when puttin it back together..by the way to remove the lower unit there is 2 nuts on each side and one hidden just above the prop....we just laid stuff seperately and in order on the table...probably save 250-300bucks..mine needed about 35dollars worth of parts..hope this helps

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, looks like i'll break out the old merc manual and give all this a try, i just hope that merc still makes all the parts. Last time i ordered parts for this thing i was outta luck, just had to go get starter rebuilt.