70 hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Skunk Master, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Bubba... I was out Saterday in my 74 Tri hull with a 70 hp Johnson and it quit on me.. It wouldn't turn over for about 5 to 10 minutes.. When I got it started I eased it back to the ramp.. By the time I got to the ramp it was rattling pretty good.. Thinking back now (2nd guessing myself) when I put gas in it I may have only put 4 oz of oil in tank instead of 8 oz's.. I used about 2 gallons of gas that day... If so, whats the chances of mixing the gas rich and the motor being ok... Maybe squirting some oil in the cylinders too.. I must be getting old, seems like I'm having alot more blonde moments than when I was younger..

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Harold that is an iffy question. The rich mixture won't cure what damage that has taken place but you can get the mix up to par and do a compression check and let me know what compression is on each cylinder. It most likely got to hot from low oil that it seized some what and couldn't turn over fast enough to fire off.
    Do like I do on the mix go to a vinyl shop and have a sticker made that says don't forget the oil dummy.:wink: I have to remind myself all the time and my blond hair went away a long time ago.
    Get those compression numbers and get back to me.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok.. The boats at storage lot.. I'll have to borrow a compression guage from the guy I traded my tools to for the boat last year.. Can't work on stuff anymore so I didn't need the tools.. Since it's so old I've been wanting to see what kinda shape the rings are in anyway.. Worst part is the motor is worth more than the boat..