70 HP Johnson help

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    It would run around 32 mph and here latley will only get up to 23 to 25, but does not sound any different than before. What could this be?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Water logged boat?

What have YOU checked in the way of engine running?

3. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    No I thought about that but I always hit the bilge and empty any water that may be in hull.

4. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What should I check?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the reference to a water logged boat was referring to when the deck leaks and the water gets between the deck and hull. A sump pump is not going to pump out that water. Take is someplace where the weigh tractor trailers and get a weight on your boat. Make it a bare boat condition...everything out that will come out. Then take it home and squirt it good with the water hose, like you'd get in a rain storm. Take it back and weigh it again. If its not leaking the weight should be the same. If it is leaking, your not going to be able to dry it out with the deck/floor in the boat...your saddled with living with the problem or replacing the deck and below deck flotation foam. If your gonna do that, you may as well replace the stringers...just a few hours more work and it could save your life.

6. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I do not think that is the problem, I never go out in the rain and my boat is stowed in my garage.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, the very first step in any repair job is a visual inspection. I'd imagine the hull integrity is OK, but you never know. Secondly, I'd run a compression check on the engine. When you start to loose compression, your performance suffers. Make sure to run a dry and wet test... Then, your linkage may be off whereas your not getting "wide open throttle" when you think you are, so check your link and sync adjustments also.