70 hp johnson,96 model

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Steven Armstrong, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    96 model,70 hp johnson . tilt and trim= will not raise or lower, both solinods are new and working, i have power through the plug on left side of engine that goes down to the tilt and trim,you can hear both solinods click when operated. twice at differnt times today the tilt and trim worked but sounded like it was under powered or weak, my battery is fully charged. any ideas what may be wrong?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds like you all ready know all about the tilt and trim, but I didn't see where you had checked the fluids.

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    you got me there! how and what type of fluid?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I use the tilt/trim fluid sold at Walmart in my 70 HP Evinrude. Had no problems with it.

5. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    how do i check the fluid?

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    the fill cap is on the bottom of the reservoir, how do i put fluid in it if its low? i removed the cap and only a drip came, is it low?

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One drip? It is very low, probably just about empty. Raise the motor to its highest position. Remove the fill screw and squeeze the tube gently until it starts to flow out around the nozzle. Put the screw back in. Cycle the unit up and down at least four or five complete series of the up and down motion. Raise it to its full height again and repeat the process of filling the unit. Then run it through the cycle again. It should be okay at this point. The question is... what made the unit get low... you have an oil leak?

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had one of these units, and it turned out to be a a rusted contact in the motor itself. This contact is there to keep the motor from getting hot if you keep running the motor against the stops to much. I can't remember what it's caled, but I removed it, and the tilt worked fine, and it's still going after 5 years. I told the guy who bought it not to hold the switch down when the motor was all of the way down or up and it should be fine. Anyway I would have replaced this safety feature if I could have found one, and if this happens in your case you should be aware that it is a safety feature to keep from burning your tilt motor up, however if you operate it properly you can get several more years out of it. I decided I'd get all of the goody out of it when I saw a new tilt unit was over 500.00. Later Andy

9. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    andy how did you find out it was the switch?

10. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    lawrence, i`ll try to find a tude of tilt and trim fluid sunday after church and try filling it up, i`ll post results afterwards

11. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i added fluid but i still don`t have any thing, how hard is it to pull the motor off the tilt and trim?

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    On th eone I had, you could take it off with out pulliing the motor. I had to wiggle it some, but it came out. I have a friend who is an electric motor fixer/upper dude, and we tore into it to see what could be found. Once you get the trim unit off of the boat, pull the elec motor off of it and look in particular at the points on the motor itself. I would say if your not an electrician, get yourself some help, but it's pretty straight forward. Once you get to the points, you'll see what I'm talking about. I removed the bi/metal safety, and it'd work just fine. Once you take this safety off, you need to make sure you don't make it hot, by running it against the stops for a long time. I was just out on the river today with the guy who bought the old boat, and the trim is still working fine after 5 plus years. Later Andy

13. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The motor I'm talking about is a 1998 Johnson 6o hp.
    Later Andy

14. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we pulled the trim motor saturday, it is bad, by spinning the shaft with plyers the motor will start. we had to drop the whole system in order to get the back left bolt out. the whole job took about 15 min.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Steven, i have a tilt off a 75 johnson. I'll take pics if your interested in it. Swap it for some rusty hooks and sun dryed gizzards or something.

16. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    thanks for the offer john, my son found a bargin on a rebuilt motor with a 1 year warr. its the off season for us now ,we won`t start back fishing until the weather cools off this fall.