70 HP Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BOTTOM, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I posted a couple weeks ago with a problem i was having with my boat. It was bogging down and running like the throttle was half open, when it was all the way open.

Well 1 of the carbs had old gaskets in it, cleans that and it ran better but not great. It would get on plane but the boat would bounce from the RPMs going up and down ( i assume). You could hear the motor though like it was higher and lower.

The boat would stop bouncing so much and the motor would sound more consistant if I tap the throttle every couple seconds. I took the carbs off and didnt see anything in the bowls, checked for a leaks in the gas lines to the carbs and the tank.

I take it to a shop and he says the lower unit seems like it locking up sometimes, and that there was shavings in the oil.

My question is if it is the lower unit would the choke help it run better when I hit it?? :confused2:

Feel free to post any thought you may have as i'm lost.
    [​IMG]

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    from my experience with lower units , ain't no such thing as" locking up a little ":sad2:....of course all my experience has come from completely tearing one up .....

3. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL, locking up may be a bad choice of words. But hopefully it makes sense. LOL

Would the choke help it though. Why would the rpms sounds better if it was the lower unit. IDK im not the most mechanically inclined.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, the choke is not going do do anything, one way or the other. If there were shavings in the lower unit oil, you ARE going to have a problem with the lower unit fairly soon. But, the way I understand what your describing, the motor surges do to an uneven delivery of fuel. The problem most generally can be found in the jets (if you want to call them that). However, you don't replace the high and low speed jets. I would bet you still have some foreign objects in the carbs. Take them down again and give them a good going over with carb cleaner. I don't think current train of thought is that your supposed to soak them overnight anymore (but thats what I do). You need a very fine wire just the size of the jets openings. Work that wire in and out of the jets for a few minutes using some spray carb. cleaner. Then reassemble the carbs and pull the linkage adjustments that's in the repair manual...think there are 3 of them. If you still have problems, or while in the process of soaking the carbs, pull the fuel pump and look at the screen and diaphragm. Shucks, while your at it you may as well replace all the fuel hoses if your haven't done so in the past two years. Think you'll see a big difference the next time out. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it generally runs about $230.00 to rebuild the lower unit. I know a shop you can talk to as it may be cheaper to mail the lower unit here for repairs than to take it to a local shop.

5. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky

The guy told me atleast 450.00 to rebuild the lower unit. ! :sad2:
    And he told me 300 to rebuild the carbs. I dont know if I can do it myself as im not the best with a wrench. I have no clue about linkage etc. etc.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  7. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do I sense an attitude? I did look and i've seen that a few times but if I dont feel comfortable breaking down carbs then I dont think I should give it a go!

8. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Plus I dont remember seeing anything about syncing the carbs in your rebuild thread? What exactly is syncing the carbs?

9. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I would look for a service manual for it. Original service manuals can be found on ebay. If not a Clymer or Seloc, manual will work. The instructions will be a little more specific to your motor, with pictures and step by step instructions. A carb rebuild is pretty easy. It can seem intimidating, but once you do it you will realize it is pretty easy. Lay everything out, label it take notes take pictures or even have a buddy there with you so you remember how everything goes back together. What year motor are we talking about?

10. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I believe its a 1985 motor. I'm sure I can take the carbs off and rebuild them, I've had them off before. What exactly is syncing the carbs?

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Working on your boat is a lot like typing. Its daunting until you do it, then you realized just how easy it is. The guy wanting $400.00 for the lower unit and $300.00 for the carbs is a guy to run, not walk, run, to get away from, and hold onto your wallet while running. It is not as difficult as you apparently think it is. Sure wish you were closer so you could just come over to the back yard where you could be taught fairly easily and quickly. But, if your gonna take it to a shop, check four or five shops. It is the off season and things are supposedly cheaper now. You may want to invest a dollar and call Dave at (405) 272 - 9795. Ask him how much labor would be involved in rebuilding the lower unit. Think you'll be surprised.

12. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I should just go to the kentucky section and tell people i have a freezer full of beer and a grill waiting of any1 wants to come by and lend a hand with it. I'm sure i'd get a taker or two. LOL

Thanks for the help so far and the number for the lower unit.

13. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I have wrenched on a few outboards in my life but I have never worked on one that had multiple carbs. This is where the service manual come in handy. It should have a link and sync section that you can follow basically there is a mark on the cam that you need to line up with the roller. once you line it up then you tighten the link. Then you proceed with the needle adjustments. It is alot easier to understand when you have a manual in front of you. I have never worked on a motor without one in front of me. Too much room for error without one. I was never very mechanically inclined untill I owned an outboard. I call it forced learning because I coulnd't afford to put it in the shop everytime it need some mainteance. The manual will pay for itself after the first job you do. Good luck and keep us posted. You should be able to get plenty of help here along the way if you need it. There are some pretty sharp guys on here.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

You've got an easier breakdown in my pictorial, than any manual will show you. If you won't follow that, I won't waste my time explaining sync and link.

Get a manual and see. If you're not comfortable doing it, get it done, or jump in and give it a try. It's not rocket science.

BTW, no attitude. It just seems like you get good answers, but you want someone to come by and lead you by the hand. Just do it!

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When you have multiple carbs, the butterfly valves must open and close at the same times. The Link and Sync adjustment sort of insures the carbs are synchronized so when fully open they are all fully open and when closed, they are fully closed. This insures the fuel/air mixture is the same for all the carbs, delivering the same amount of fuel to each cylinder to keep the engine from surging and to keep it operating at its maximum efficiency.

Not sure what size town/city your from, but a lot of times your local library will have a manual for the most popular outboards. Check with them to see if they do. If so, you can simply xerox the pages dealing with carb adjustments. I'd also recommend the manual. Rebuilding the carbs is nothing, simply read the one or two lines in the manual, then do what it said. If your really apprehensive, I'd take a digital camera and take a lot of pictures before, during and after. Don't worry about messing up...if you don't loose the parts you can always take them to a shop where they will reassemble them for you. I'm sure as many people as there is on the board from Kentucky, you can find someone close enough to you to help.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  16. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You DEFINATELY have an attitude! The caps locks on look and then telling me I want some1 to hold my hand. This post was pretty pointless as it helped me in no way at all. This is supposed to be a forum so people can post questions and get help, yet you post and give me no answers? I ask about syncing them so that when I put them back together I can have it all done. Not wonder about syncing them and have to ask another question.

Thanks again for your help awshucks. It is appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    From what I found out about you, all you do is ask questions and do nothing to help yourself with the answers.

I'll let the rest of them waste thier time, and you continue to do nothing and ask questions:wink:

18. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL from what you found out about me? How exactly did you find out about me? I made a thread about it bogging down not to long ago and posted that the problem was fixed. How exactly does this show that I ask questions and do nothing? I hope your life skills are better then your detective skills :smile2: !

19. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well i started alittle work today on the boat. The floor was rotten so i started to remove that and I also started on the carbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Not sure if you have fixed the carbs yet or not, but i have a 70 horse merc. that was doing the same thing, and one of the freeze plugs on the side of the bottom carb was loose and leaking it cost me 87 cents to fix it. Not sure if this will help just a suggestion.