70 HP evinrude

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by BOTTOM, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I posted a couple weeks ago with a problem i was having with my boat. It was bogging down and running like the throttle was half open, when it was all the way open.

Well 1 of the carbs had old gaskets in it, cleans that and it ran better but not great. It would get on plane but the boat would bounce from the RPMs going up and down ( i assume). You could hear the motor though like it was higher and lower.

The boat would stop bouncing so much and the motor would sound more consistant if I tap the throttle every couple seconds. I took the carbs off and didnt see anything in the bowls, checked for a leaks in the gas lines to the carbs and the tank.

I take it to a shop and he says the lower unit seems like it locking up sometimes, and that there was shavings in the oil.

My question is if it is the lower unit would the choke help it run better when I hit it?? :confused2:

Feel free to post any thought you may have as i'm lost.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I trust this is a duplicate post. LOL

3. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL yeah I posted it in outboards and boat help...LOL

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    2 ways to check carbs. Take the cover off the carbs were you can see in side them. 1st way is crank it up in your yard. Make sure you ether have in in a barrel of water or put what i call elephant ears on the foot. Never run it without water.. Look in side both carbs and hit the throttle if they are clean you will see gas spray out the jet in side the carb. If you see gas in 1 carb not the other you will know witch one is stoped up. The 2nd way is leave the cover off get someone to drive the boat. Take a drink bottle put some gas in it with a small hole in the cap. Take off down river and shot gas into 1 carb at a time. You can tell the differnce wene you shot the gas in the bad carb. It will run like its post to...

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    The foot on my 60hp johnson started booging the motor down then it looked up snap the main shaft in half.. All that happen in 5 mins..

6. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This post lost me! And yeah I use the ears for the hose when i work on it in the driveway. I'm gonna take the carbs off and rebuild them!

7. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    That means if the lower unit is going bad, it goes. Thats like not putting oil in your car and it starts knocking, thats it .