70+# Flathead found dead

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Mar 30, 2008.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was driving in the Waverly area friday and found a Flathead that easily exceeds the 70# mark... Never have i seen one of that size come out of that area but after the river flooded it was washed up into a field and as the water evaporated it go stuck and died... It really stinks to see a fish of this size dead in the area I fish.. Last year i came across the same thing but that flathead was in the 50# range.. the only thing good about it is that a fish of that size i know has reproduced and that there are more or soon to be more just like it.... Just thought i would share that... I hate finding them after its to late....

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I think that receeding waters trap alot more fish than people realize.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Damn Shane, where did ya get that huge-ass blue I your avatar?

Just lets you know that specific area holds big fish. You should start rounding up bluegills.

By the way, Nice hat! I have the very same one.

4. jamesfish

jamesfish New Member

State:
    indiana
    shane hate that the fish gone thereis a lot of fish killed that way see alot when the water is up that far here in gandview down by the river bottoms

5. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Oh i caught her back in Feb.. At the Cumberland Fish and Camp.. she weighed in at 37.5 ( i know she looks bigger )

as for the hat... thanks.. its one of about 25

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well if you don't eat 'em thats what can happen!....:crazy::wink:

7. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
  8. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy, that's a shame. I fish the river right in there also. Where around Waverly did you find this fish? Is it still there? I might have to go see it! (You know you got cabin fever when you want to go look at a dead fish.)

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats funny.. I know what you mean

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a nice fish shamed it couldnt keep growing

11. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would have like to catch him to bad hes not going to be swimming around anymore!!!:sad2:

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its a shame thats for sure !

13. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I found one dead in the eddie/slack water were a large ditch empties into the mississippi. It was stiff and swelling a little so I gutted it before I weighed off the side of my boat. It was 44lbs. Biggest one I've seen up close. The mouth of this ditch use to always have a trotline acrossed it baited with live bluegill in the fall. It was in place when I found the fish. The guy must have not checked it for days because I would be willing to bet that the fish was on that line.

14. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    hate to hear that. but lets you know just whats out there. thanks for sharing

15. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have found that when there are floods, there are many fish caught in deeper water holding areas.....example....ponds close to the river. when the water drops low enough to fish the holding areas, its prime time to fish those areas. i have caught many big cats, walleyes, sheepshead, ect in those types of areas. usually its like shooting fish in a barrell. its very fun to take kids to those areas

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats sad the fish may have died of natural causes or old age

17. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Man that sucks to hear about a big cat like that dying.

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I found a dead 60# flathead in Arizona last year same problem he got stuck in a small pool and it got him sad.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a true tragedy! There is no way to prevent such a thing from happening, but I wish the big ones would not get so adventurous. The bait fish goes to the shallow and the big guys follow, that's the nature of the beast. Too bad you didn't drive through a day ealier.