Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving in the Waverly area friday and found a Flathead that easily exceeds the 70# mark... Never have i seen one of that size come out of that area but after the river flooded it was washed up into a field and as the water evaporated it go stuck and died... It really stinks to see a fish of this size dead in the area I fish.. Last year i came across the same thing but that flathead was in the 50# range.. the only thing good about it is that a fish of that size i know has reproduced and that there are more or soon to be more just like it.... Just thought i would share that... I hate finding them after its to late....

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
Damn Shane, where did ya get that huge-ass blue I your avatar?

Just lets you know that specific area holds big fish. You should start rounding up bluegills.

By the way, Nice hat! I have the very same one.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn Shane, where did ya get that huge-ass blue I your avatar?

Just lets you know that specific area holds big fish. You should start rounding up bluegills.

By the way, Nice hat! I have the very same one.
Oh i caught her back in Feb.. At the Cumberland Fish and Camp.. she weighed in at 37.5 ( i know she looks bigger )

as for the hat... thanks.. its one of about 25

·
Registered
134 Posts
Boy, that's a shame. I fish the river right in there also. Where around Waverly did you find this fish? Is it still there? I might have to go see it! (You know you got cabin fever when you want to go look at a dead fish.)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I found one dead in the eddie/slack water were a large ditch empties into the mississippi. It was stiff and swelling a little so I gutted it before I weighed off the side of my boat. It was 44lbs. Biggest one I've seen up close. The mouth of this ditch use to always have a trotline acrossed it baited with live bluegill in the fall. It was in place when I found the fish. The guy must have not checked it for days because I would be willing to bet that the fish was on that line.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have found that when there are floods, there are many fish caught in deeper water holding areas.....example....ponds close to the river. when the water drops low enough to fish the holding areas, its prime time to fish those areas. i have caught many big cats, walleyes, sheepshead, ect in those types of areas. usually its like shooting fish in a barrell. its very fun to take kids to those areas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.