'70 evinrude 33hp starting

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by basebklyn7, Oct 27, 2005.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    i got another question regarding my 1970 33 hp evinrude. the last few trips out it has been acting kinda weird.. only when starting.
    when i first start it for the day (at the ramp) it will miss while idling or until i get on it a little bit. but after it warms up it will run excellent.. it will even idle smooth when it seems like any less gas and it will stall.. <-- in other words after it warms up it runs great.
    after turning the motor off when i get to my backwater, ill use the trolling motor to move from brush pile to brush pile.. so the motor will not run for 3 hours or so.. when i go to start it again.. it turns over right away, leave a cloud of blue smoke (typical 2 cycle smoke) and will miss for a couple of minutes or until i give it some more gas, then it will run excellent again.
    what could be my problems... is this normal for when it cooler out? is air somehow getting into my gas while it sits???
    help me out.. thanks in advance.

sean

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you don't refresh my memory on what's been done to your engine, maintenance wise, I'll have to go back and try to find what the other posts were about.

I'll start here with what your describing.

A cold engine needs more gas to get going. Have you cleaned the carb, or adjusted it to run a bit richer?

What's the compression?

3. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    the compression is close to 115# in both cylinders. i havent had the carb cleaned... as i didnt have a problem until just recently.
    its only when first started for a couple minutes or until i give it some gas... then it runs perfectly.
    the problems i have had were. 1) the pull start cord kept somehow getting wrapped around the flywheel (not pulling on it, just whenever it felt like it) so i took that off. and 2) i had a problem for a little while gettting it to let me give it full throttle.. after adjusting the low and high settings on the carb. it let me do that.
    the connection piece on my fuel hose (which was bought new a few months ago, i think its a attwood?) the piece that connects to the gas tank doesnt make a real good connection.. would this have anythign to do with it?? the picture is one of the fuel hose connection. the gas is practically brand new as well.. mixed to 50:1. i run a bottle of sea foam through every 4th tank or so as well. [​IMG]

4. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    this probably isnt the problem.. but it was bugging me enough that i did something about it. went out to the local wal-mart and got a different fitting.. i tried it on the tank before switching it out.. it was a lot "tighter" than the one that was on it.. also.. just for the heck of it i used a couple zip ties to ensure that it stays tight on there...
    just a little thing that bugged me and now it wont. [​IMG]
    notice i have a 3/4 tank of gas.. im gonna use some of that tomorrow chasing some fish.. the crappies are hot in the backwaters of the 'miss right now.

sean

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You do need an air tight connection at the tank and motor, as well as the rest of the fuel system.

I've seen problems with the Atwood products before. I don't care much for their products, but if you need something right away, that's usually what you end up getting.

That's great compression and should run good for a long time. Try to get the carb cleaned soon to eliminate that possability and get an inline filter on that fuel line.

6. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    thanks bob...
    what do you suggest i get for a fuel hose? is this something i will have to order?
    i plan on having some work done to it next spring.. including having the carb cleaned.
    an inline fuel filter.. where do you suggest i pick one of these up at?

ill be taking the boat out a couple times this week probably and will update on any further problems.. thanks again.
    sean

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you can get the original equipment hose and connectors, they're the best for your engine. Correction on the fuel line, I do prefer Yamaha fuel line with the evinrude connections. Yamaha fuel line stays soft and pliable much longer than any other hose i've used.

An inline filter can be bought at wal-mart in the boating section. A small glass, see through with 3 changeable filters.