'70 33hp evinrude issues..

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by basebklyn7, Aug 10, 2009.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    had some mechanical issues with the boat motor a couple weeks ago.. ended up ordering a carburetor kit and replacing all the seals, etc. found the washer on the main jet to be corroded and lots of debris in the carb.. cleaned thoroughly and put back on the boat..
    the motor will now start and run at an idle speed decent enough. i have noticed some fuel spreading out from around the motor in the water after start up. (too much fuel maybe). i can not get the motor to open up WOT. it almost seems like it is running on one cylinder.. i dont notice a miss at idle speeds (sounds great at idle). i have tried adjusting the high speed needle at all increments with no change whatsoever. what is the typical setting for the high speed for this particular motor normally? ex. 3 1/2 turns out.
    a buddy of mine mentioned checking the condenser??
    hoping for some suggestions or thoughts on this matter as i have the week off work and would really like to get the boat out.
    thanks so much in advance.

sean

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Are you sure you put in the gasket in the center of the bowl?

3. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    are you referring to the one that seats over the main needle in the middle of the float? or the actually main carburetor gasket?
    the gasket that is on the main needle is a makeshift one that i installed as i could not find an exact replacement. before putting the carburetor together it seemed to be making a good seal..
    could this be my problem?
    or have you heard or seen other instances where the incorrect gasket here has kept the motor from running properly. like gas is getting by the gasket and is causing it to load up????
    thanks bob.. you are always very helpful when i have a problem.

sean

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That engine has a fixed high speed jet so what you were adjusting was the low speed only. I would say the pick up tube for the high speed is stopped up or as bobpaul said the gasket under the gasket is seeping inside. I'll fine you the sierra parts number so you can go to a napa store or o rileys and order the kit and make it right.

5. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    thanks bubbakat. appreciate the help..
    one question.. if i was adjusting the low speed only.. why does this particular carburetor have two needles?? a low speed, and a high speed???
    i am going to call around to some local outboard shops in the area and see about finding a proper gasket for inside the float.

6. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    i did a little more research. after going and talking to a mechanic. he suggested checking spark at both cylinders. if thats not the problem he said to make sure the washer at the bottom of the nozzle (middle of the float) is there.. which is one thing i dont recall seeing or replacing..
    he said this would have an impact on the high speed and not the low speed if this seal was not working properly..
    ran the motor and pulled the plug wires off one at a time. the motor runs with each plug wire removed (runs worse, missing etc.. ) so now i can put aside the thoughts of plug wires, spark plugs, and the coils being bad right??
    i have not checked the compression... but before the last carburetor tear down (2 weeks ago) and after the first one.. the motor ran good at WOT. the same day, trying to start it.. it started real hard.. and wouldnt let me open it up WOT again.. '

i apologize for my ranting... hopefully you guys still have a couple thoughts for me...
    thanks again.. sean

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That middle washer under the high speed pick up was the one I was talking about. It has to be there. If that carb has two adjusting needles some one has changed the carbs at one time or another. If you will take a picture of the carb I will post a blown up picture of it and I may have a gasket to fit it also
    Another thing if it has two needles and its sucking air around either one it will cause the same reaction as its doing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009