7-28-07 white river wf

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Harleycat, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    had a good time last night caught 1 flatty 16lbs lost 2 good ones in the snags they pulled really hard so i think they was big ones broke 30lb test it was great good fight for a few minutes loved it

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    sounds like a good night Malcom...how deep were you fishing and were you using bluegills?

3. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    it was about 10 to 20 feet deep i was using a rock bass caught in a creek also creek chubs and of course bluegill but the one flat i caught took the bass

4. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Flatties love bass! Nice catch!

5. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    thanks for the info, my White River experience this year has been slow, looks like i need to find some deeper water and start trying rock bass again. i've only had moderate success using rock bass in the past, maybe it's time to give em another try.

6. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I got out lastnight for a few hours to one of my fave spots and landed 1 6lb channel cat on a live 5" rock bass and a 20" 3.75lb smallie on a live green sunfish. This is about the 4th time while fishing for flatties I've landed a hog smallie. He put a pretty good fight too even though I was using a heavy action rod and 30lb test, I got to see some good tailwalking. I'm headed back out again this evening with one of my good buddies, hopefully we'll tie into some flatties.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rick, it sounds like you may need to start fishing for smallies. Not all water has them in numbers like it sounds like you have them there. Vern

8. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Vernon...I love fishing for smallies, my dad and I recently did our annual brickyard 400 weekend walk that's about a 3 mile stretch of a small anonymous creek in shelby county and had a good day catching a lot of fish in the 1-2lb range. I fish for smallies a lot in the spring and fall but not so much in the summer. I've tried fishing the White River for smallies and I catch a lot of littler ones, but the only times I ever hook into the big ones is when I'm not targeting them, go figure lol. Up until i was about 10 or 11, smallmouth fishing is about all I ever did...nothin like wading a small stream at 6am when its about 65 degrees and there's a light mist coming off the water.

9. odiebigcat

odiebigcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    you should come to the gosport section of the white river in owen county if you like to catch big flatheads

Attached Files:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im sure all the commercial guys that read this will be headed your way! lol

11. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    i do fish the gosport area ive caught afew big ones

12. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Now that's what I call a White River flathead!

13. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey guys well i went out last night on the white at mooresville and caught a couple decent one,s a 10lb flat and a 13 to 14 lb flat on chubs and gills i had an interesting conversation with a conservation officer there too he was just doing his thing checkin tags and told me and my friend that anything in the water is just like the law states it must have your name and address put on it such as jugs or limb lines and even nets under water he let me know from terre haute north their starting to pull up everything that doesnt have a tag and let me know the white will start getting pulled this next week i guess their cracking down on it ?? i know i,ve bent 2 props this year getting snaged on ropes and cables from nets and i,m tired of it too

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that wont scare the people that are doing it,they are just too stupid. lol

15. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ah the never ending discussion of limb lines and trot lines. I'm not against them, but for the most part when I see them, there is no tag on them telling who they belong to. And a lot of the times I find them, they look like they've been out there a long time, with all sorts of debri all over them and either the bait gone, or a half dead fish on the other end. It seems like people will go down and set them and not check them for a week or so. Like I said before, I'm not against them, but I really wish people would take more responsibility for them.