7/22 Grand Report

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Jul 23, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Took 2 guys out tonight for my Dusk to Dawn trip. 8:00pm - 6:00 am. Between 9:00pm - 10:00pm we caught 4 flatheads and 3 channel cats all on cut bait. The largest flathead was 12 lbs. I had forgotten my camera so we used the clients camera on those fish. I had my wife bring my camera to the river after leaving that hole. 11:00 pm - 1:00 am was dead time. 1:30am - 2:30 am was hot, with action from both flatheads and channel cats. We landed a 15lb flathead and a few channel cats in the 6 - 8 lb range. No more takers until we moved again at 4:30 am and had a hit right away with a nice channel cat. I rebaited that rod and cast it back in the same spot. As I was baiting another rod that same one slammed down in the holder. I figured we were into a nice flathead this time as the fish was fighting really hard. When the fish came to the net it was a dandy of a channel cat weighing 14 lbs. Thats probably the biggest channel cat I've caught in July. I see alot of them like that in April/ May but they usually get real skinny after the spawn. This fish was a hog. At around 5:30 am that was the last fish of the trip. We caught 14 fish total with 5 flatheads. All fish on cut bait. I had out some great livebaits all night with no takers. I'm getting alot of confidence in cutbait for flatheads this Summer. I've caught double the fish on it compared to live bait so far this year.

Pics of the 15 lb flathead and the big channel cat.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Nice fish dan I think them flats just cant pass up the smell of that blood just does something to cats its like a big dowl of ice cream to us might not want it but if somebody gives it to ya you got to eat it

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Sounds like a good night fishing. Great pics. too!
    Thanks for sharing Dan.
    Sparky

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    That's a great night! Takes the pain out of losing sleep to catch a bunch of fish.
    How deep are you finding fish lately? Jon & I sat over a 10' hole full of logs surrounded by 4-6' for 4+ hours tonight and got one flat. (ate the cut rock bass between the live bluegills, too). Pics on Monday.

Next weekend, I'm going to the St Joe!

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Easy there tony patence my freind sounds like your getting discouraged with the home waters take a deep dreath now go get them!

6. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    one more day left an I will be up their gonna fish the 2nd day or the 1st depends on it I find someone to take me lol

7. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    nice catches...and u were probly lucky cuz it was my birthday on the 22nd lol

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Discouraged? Me? Nahhhhhhh...
    I love every minute of it. From getting the boat & gear ready, to scouting & finding spots, to gathering bait, to waiting for the reel start singing. Yes, even if we catch no fish at all. Just makes we want to go again.
    Here's the fish me caught last night.

Attached Files:

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay thats a good fish

10. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm still getting fish in the same holes as earlier. 10 - 18 ft of water. With the exception of one spot last week Monday that was a 7 ft hole only about 10 yards long. It was the only water over 3 ft deep for 1 mile of river. We caught 2 flats there during daylight on cut bait. Did Jon catch the flathead? Was that his 1st?

Dan

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    I would love to take the credit for boating that fish, but alas my curse continues. the only reason i am holding it is because i couldn't figure out how to work tony's camera. lol It was a great night on the water. tony cought all the fish. 3 rockbass and that flathead. he even lost two other fish right at the boat. there goes his 100% bite to hookup ratio........but the night was not a complete disaster. we were fioshing about 3/4 of a mile downstream from the boatlaunch, and it would not stay running to get us back..... so being the wonderful guy that i am, i rowed us all the way back to the launch.....UPSTREAM........guess i really am cursed guys.......

BEWARE THE FAT GERMAN

tight lines y'all

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Yes, I caught all the fish and Jon rowed the boat, the poor guy... sorry Jon, I guess I'm a lousy host. Don't forget, I tried to take over the oars more than once.
    My gas tank hose has been replaced and now I should be able to keep the thing running.
    I am convinced the two fish that didn't hook up were NOT catfish. When a fish peels off at 60 MPH the instant you feel them, its usually a pike or a gar, don't you think? I have never had a flathead behave that way.
    No mystery why I wouldn't hook a pike or gar on an 8/0 circle hook, is there? I'm still going to claim "near" 100% on CATFISH on circles for this year lol...

13. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Your odds of hooking a Gar on anything are extremely slim. Big sheephead can act real sporty when first hooked. They often make a mid river run to get sideways in the current and use their broad sides as leverage. We saw some huge Gar Saturday night. One that was all of 3 ft long was hanging right around the boat for a few minutes. Once the Gar find your baits you might as well pick up and move. You'll be setting the hook into nothing and wasting bait. I heard an old timer once talk about using some type of fabric that caught in the teeth of Gar. Maybe Velcro would work.

Dan

14. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    In Georgia when I was there with the Navy we used to unravel shroud lines and put around (with wire) a treble hook loaded with whatever bait we were using and then when the gar would attack the bait the strands and fibers of the nylon would get tangled up in their teeth and we'd pull them in. There were a lot of the Gars in the Alatoona Impoundment. JC

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    On Lake St Clair I used to use a shiner minnow on a small hook and a 4-6 inch strand of nylon stocking. It gets caught in their teeth. Also the hair off a barbie doll will do the same thing. Cut it and tie it to a hook, then hook a dead shiner to it, cast, and rip it across the surface.

Theyre pretty fun to catch. Go floss a gar!

-Sal

16. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Yup. That's why I don't think those takes were cats. A flathead engulfs a bluegill, then starts to slowly move off, then speeds up gradually as he feels resistance.
    Those takes I had Sunday were like lightning strikes, and then a hook-set into nothing, resulting in a empty hook. Had to be gar.
    In-Fisherman did a story years ago about using frayed rope to catch gar, seemed to work pretty well.

17. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I gave up shaving Barbi's heads when I was 7 years old. Took too many butt kickins from my Sister! I can see how that material would work great.

Dan

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    There are a bunch of bald barbies somewhere in Sterling Heights, from my childhood. We'd do all sorts of evil things to em.

I used to strap a good dozen bottle rockets to GI joes and barbies and such. Then I found a hobby shop that sold rocket kits. Barbie doubled her range and at the end it blows her head off. I was surely a wierd kid... thank god I got a paper route to finance my evildoing.

It would be a better world if groups like Hezzbollah only had barbies and GI Joes to fire into Israel. Of course.. if it actually by chance killed someone on impact it would be a difficult funeral. Grandmaw was making lox and bagels on the back porch and she got struck in the head with a barbie fired by militants. How do you mourn a loss like that? ahh well... I need to get out more. lol