7/17 Grand Report

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Jul 18, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Had a great time on the river tonight. A couple from Vernon Michigan came over to fish for some cats and catch cats we did. We left the launch at 4:00pm and by 4:30 we had a 15lb flathead in the boat. I figured it was a fluke and did'nt expect another flathead for the rest of the trip. WRONG. The next hole caughed up another flathead, a small one of around 3-4 lbs. As well as a couple channel cats the same size. At the next hole 2 more flatheads, one 12lb'er and another small one. A half a dozen more channel cats were caught at the next few holes. At 9:00pm we fished a logjam that I have fished only once before and had no luck. I decided since our luck was going so good I would give it another try. 1st fish hit before I could set all the rods. A 6lb flathead, then a 9 lb channel cat, and then another eater size channel cat. By 9:30 we moved to a hole known for producing some big channel cats. We waited until 9:45 ther with no hits. Just as lightning was starting to flash to our North a big fish doubled over one of the rods. After a 10 minute fight we landed a 20 lb flathead. After snapping a few pics we pulled anchor and barely made it oot of the water as the storm hit. And what a storm it was, 60 mph wind, nickle size hail, lots of rain. 6 flatheads all during daylight hours, all on cut bait. Not supposed to happen according to the books. Gues no one told the fish that.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    those are some real nice fish, im still hunting for my first flatty

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Nice fish dan! Depends on what book ya look in.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Good job, Dan!
    They seem to get hungry before a storm, don't they?
    I wish I knew why. Barometric pressure? Why would they care if it storms?
    We may never know...

5. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    My Dad always said that when storms approachs Cats can tell by the baro. pressure and are anticipating food being washed into the rivers upstream and go forageing. Whether it's true it always worked for me and does explain some whys? :lol: When your a kid, you don't need the long scientific answers just good sounding "Dad" answers. Grins John

6. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    When I was a little one we fished a lot in Northern Indiana at lake James and the bass would got a bit crazy just before storms hit also. JC

7. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    We were fishing by the 6th street dam when the storm hit. I had a sucker minnow out and it went bye bye when lightning hit by the railroad bridge upstream a ways. I had 2 friends fishing midriver for Walleyes and they can really move fast when the situation arises. I thought I'd wait the storm out in the truck...lol. It knocked our power out here on the NW side for about 11 hours or so from right around 10 last evening until 11 this morning. Fishing on the Grand around GR oughta be good this evening and night though:smile2: John

8. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    RiverKat for BOC president:cool2:

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Great night fishing Dan! Great pictures too, thanks for sharing. I'm still a virgin at this Flathead fishing though. I just wish I was a little closer to the Flathead holes. I know my day will come. Everyone says all good things come with time.
    Sparky