7/14 fishing report

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Just one fish, 19.7# flathead, but a great night to be out.
    It was hot & sweaty out there, and the mosquitos were murder until about 11:00, but the sky was clear and there were shooting stars, and then this huge moon came up, it was great. Fished alone, my daughter opted out at the last minute. Too bad, she would have reeled in a bigger fish than her brother's (18.5#).

Water was 78.8 on my unit, the fish bit at 10:20, ate a 6" bluegill.

I heard a rod move in the holder, so I switched on a light to look- but it was stone still. Then I heard it again, checked again, still nothing. Then the whole boat tilted to one side- the other side. I was checking the wrong rod.
    The fish was into the logjam pretty good by then, I could hardly get the rod out of the holder. Fought really hard for a fish that size, especially once it got close to the boat.
    There's really something special about the 20 & up class flats. Reminds me why I love this so much.
    Lessons:
    1. Thank goodness for my mesh bug-suit. Cool, comfy way to keep your blood.
    2. Thank God for rain!
    3. Good thing my line was up to dragging that bad-girl out of the snag. I could feel that I was dragging her around a corner.
    4. (knock on wood) I'm still 100% on hookups with circle hooks this year. No lost fish, corner of the mouth every time (knock on wood again).
    5. My new favorite hook is Gama's 8/0 4X strong octopus circle. Nice wide gap, so sharp it scares me to be in the same boat with 'em.
    Time for bed...

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats brother, we got drenched in Ohio. I was driving in blinding conditions on the way home tonight. Glad you got out and got a nice fish.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

From the sound of things on how these flatheads fight I might have to go try to find a few here in NC. I know the Cape Fear has them in it so I might just have to plan a trip there.

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Good post Tony, thanks for the details of the catch. Isn't it always like that when you're alone? Seems like those are the times that you get into your best fish...LOL.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Glad you had a good time. Those Gama hooks are the way to go!

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Congrats on a nice fish , hope you catch a lot more

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Good going tony at lest we now that theres one in there

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Ridgerunner and myself went to the local pond last night, caught a lof of little ones and I got a whopping 2lber about eleven thirty, then nothing else. Ridge got enough bluegill for cut bait to last awhile, they oought to be getting ripe in a few days then watch out kitty's, we hope. Mine have been frozen and thawed quite a few times now and are deffinetly ripe. I caught the 2lber on chicken gizzard, no bites on cut last night. The fish weren't biting as far as big ones anyway, but it was a totally beautiful night, sky filled with stars and that big old moon showing up, great night to be on the bank.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    And of course, the camera was on the kitchen counter by the door so I wouldn't forget it...

10. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice fish and thanks for sharing. BTW I always forget my camera toooo:roll_eyes: JC

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish and nice story! Wtg brother!

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice work as always Tony. The warmer the water gets the harder the cats seem to fight. I set the hook this evening on a fish and watched the drag go peeling away like there was a King Salmon on the other end. As I handed it to a client it was still hammering out drag. Wound up being a 11 lb channel cat. Hardest fighting channel cat I ever saw.Had to torque down the drag that I have'nt moved all Summer. Even on 20lb Flatheads!

Dan

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You remind me of something, Dan. After weighing, I thought the fish looked pretty long for that weight. Sure enough, 38-39", loooooong for just under 20 pounds.
    Is that consistent with your experience, too? Aren't 20's usually shorter (say, 35-37") and +/- 40 inchers closer to 30 pounds?
    With the empty stomachs you found, and my skinny fish, why have they been off the feed? The spawn effect? The drought & low water?
    Things that make you go "hmmmmmmm.....".

PS: I fished cutbait too that night for the first time since my trot line days in Kentucky 20 years ago. Fresh bluegills cut in half on an angle. Never got a sniff. Someone's going to have to teach me how that's properly done, because I can't always get great live bait.

14. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, I don't have a tape measure in the boat. I always plan t o bring one but never do. I agree that the longer fish sometimes weigh more than the short stout ones. Those long flatheads seem like their all tail. Not much weight back there. I'm not sure why the fish have been off the feed, just glad they decided to feed last night. Keep fishing the cut bait, it will produce for you. Be sure to fish it on a no leader slip rig for best results. Don't know why but it works the best.

Dan