6th record fish for Mo. in 2009

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by bluejay, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    O'Fallon angler sets sixth fishing record of the year
    Missouri anglers continue to make 2009 a year to remember.
    DEFIANCE, Mo.-The weather may be cooling down, but Missouri anglers continue to set a hot pace for fishing records, this time with a little-known species of herring.
    James M. Lucas, of O'Fallon, snagged a 1-pound, 8-ounce skipjack herring at Sandy Slough, just off the Missouri River in Lincoln County, Sept. 15. The streamlined, silvery fish measured 18 inches from nose to tail.
    Before Lucas' entry, the Missouri Department of Conservation did not have a skipjack herring record in the "alternative methods" category. Fisheries Management Biologist Marvin Boyer determined that the fish met the minimum weight requirement for its species, clearing the way for its certification.
    "Alternative methods" include snagging, trotlines, spearfishing, bowfishing and other methods besides hand-held poles and lines.
    Lucas' record catch is just a shade smaller than the current pole-line-and-lure record skipjack, a 1-pound, 11-ounce specimen caught from the Osage River by George Gerloff, of Jefferson City, in 2005.
    Entry forms, rules and a list of Missouri fishing records are available online at www.MissouriConservation.org<http://www.MissouriConservation.org>. Click on keywords "Fishing" and "Browse Fishing by Subject."
    The same Web page has information about the Conservation Department's Master Angler program, which recognizes notable catches that fall short of records. For qualifying lengths and weights, visit http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/71.pdf.
    -Jim Low-

Caption for All Outdoors photo
    James M. Lucas, of O'Fallon, snagged this 1-pound, 8-ounce skipjack herring to set a new "alternative methods" Missouri State record. He was fishing in Sandy Slough, just off the Missouri River near Defiance in Lincoln County.
    (Missouri Department of Conservation photo)
    High-resolution photo: mdc.mo.gov/news/images/fullsize/20091030

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    big ol bait :wink:

3. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the news J.C., looks like the recession is causing to eat more fish...LOL :cool2:

4. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I like hearing of skips being caught in missouri. I just starting going for them this year and don't know much about them. I have only caught 4 to date.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I should have submited some of them massive mooneye I was choppen for bait this summer lol.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for the posting the report J.C… Good to see it was taken here in Lincoln County on Sandy Slough… There is a discrepancy in the report though :confused2:… Sandy Slough is in Lincoln County but feeds the Mississippi, not the Missouri River… Lincoln County does not touch the Missouri River :roll_eyes:... Now Defiance where the guy is from is on the Missouri River :smile2:… sounds like a whose on first and whats on second:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:… River has been flooded there and looks like the skippies have moved up into the slough... a buddy caught some crappie up there recently.:wink: