6hp motor quit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okiecop, Feb 11, 2007.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    My fishing partner has a evinrude 6 hp. not sure just what year. but here is the problem. we went out when it was cold had problems getting the boat off the trailer. Had the motor full bore and steam was coming from the pee hole. anyway we went to get going and the engine died and we were unable to get the motor fired back up. any ideas on what the problem could be?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Steam coming out and no water?

3. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I own a Mercury 9.8 and had something kinda like that happen one day.When mine quit it sounded like it was slinging a rod through the side of the motor.When it died there was smoke rolling out of it.I thought I had burned it up,but when the motor had cooled down it would start back up.My water pump had gone out.They are not very expensive and not difficult to install.(on a Mercury)I don't know about Evinrude.Check the water pump.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it got that hot and was ran until the engine shut down. There are several things that could have happen. Get a manuel and do a compression check and a spark test. Check for melted wires under the fly wheel.

Get us a model number so we know what engine we are working with here.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Having been the son of a former outboard marine tech .my first observation would be that the waterpump impeller was prob. rotted out then the rest is history. if the engine got that hot your looking at big problems.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The water pump was probobly froze and when you started it up it broke, thats my guess. When its real cold i usualy let my motor set in the water for a few so everything thaws.

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    The good news the motor does fire back up now but the water pump/impeller is shot. looking to see if we can find a drawing of how it all goes together w/o buying a manual.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Find the model number on the engine and post it. You'll need it to get the parts.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yep if you post the engine model # we can show you a diagram of how it goes and tell you how to do it. its not hard. heres a diagram of a 6hp 1985 model.

10. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    ok i added that info on my last post in an edit but i guess it didn't make it. so here it is. the motor is a 1975 6hp evinrude model #6504 R. hope this tid bit is more helpful for you all to help me out.

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    here you go

[​IMG]

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That looks like an old style pump. If it's not, fine. The pump you buy may not look like the one you take off. Don't worry about it, It'll fit just fine.

13. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I just want to take the time to say thank you to all the brothers that helped out with this. The new water pump is ordered. My partner got in just last week. Will install it when he gets back from Florida. Whooooooooo Hoooooo will be back on the water in april.:big_smile: