69 model 20 hp merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by katfish ken, Jul 22, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was out yesterday going down the lake and at wot the boat just started slowing down and engine still ran fine. It was like the prop wasn't turning with the engine speed. Have I sheared a pin or key ?? or could it be something else?? If it's a key or pin how big a job is it and where is it located??? any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the nut off the front of the prop and remove it. You will see how its put together. If it didn't completely stop I would say you spun the hub located inside the prop. The only fix for that is a trip to the prop shop or a new prop.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The hub in the center of the prop that has the splines is the part you are talking about, Right?? Looked at the splines this morning and they look fine. I have another prop that should fit it, will change it out and see if that helps.
    Thanks Willard!! Much appreciated.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those splines you are looking at in the prop hub itself are set inside a rubber hub. Yea try the other prop and see if the problem follows.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Sounds like you spun the hub on the prop. My '73 model 20hp merc has done it a couple of times since I got it.
    You can look at the rubber insert between the prop hub and the bronze splined part... the rubber may or may not have a ground up look to it.
    I sent all 3 of mine to Midwest Prop and they did a great job and had them back to me in less than a week.

http://www.midwestpropeller.com/index.html

Q

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the input guys. Hope to get around to checking it out in a day or so.