67 johnson 33hp problems

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by tbull, Jun 16, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been trying to figure this thing out but having trouble, before the boat would start up and run, only problem is it ran very very slow. I checked the compression, it was good. One of the plugs was not sparking much, replaced both plugs, the boat ran faster, but not much. When I put the muffs on after I changed the plugs, it let me rev it all all the way, before it wouldn't pass a certain point. Sorry I dont have a tach, I am going just by sound. Like I said its faster, but not as fast as it should be. Could this be a fuel problem? and does anyone know what the fuel mixture should be for this engine? Its on a 67 15ft 6in woodson tri-hull. I want to finally have a boat to fish on, but I am close to giving up. Any help please..

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its either loosing spark or its not getting enough fuel. Post me the model number so I can see what carbs it has and als post me the compression numbers.
    Don't reve that thing up on the muffs it will run away with you and you can't shut it down

You may have one set of the points shutting down on you and the fuel mixture if it is a 67 would be 50 to 1

Use only champion plugs in it and gap them at 35. I'll look up the size in the am.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well thats a problem too, I had a guy I know check the compression, he didnt give me any numbers, and now I can't get a hold of him. I know that doesn't help you much. The model number is HXFL-16 R. I know the fuel mixture right now isn't 50 to 1. On a 6 gallon tank, would that be 1 pint mixed with 6 gallons?

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    come to think of it, that engine may be a 69. I know the boats a 67, I dont have any papers on the engine.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Fuel mix is rtight whether a 67 or 69 16 oz of TCW-3 oil to six gal. of 87 octane fuel
    Plugs are J4C or J6C I would use the J6c That is a little hottor plug.

6. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    tbull.. i have a '70 evinrude 33hp.. . on a 16ft flatbottom.. im no boat mechanic.. so can't really help you with your problem..
    do you have the motor on your boat now??? if so.. what do you consider running "slow".. at WOT i only get maybe 20-22 mph. or is it considerably less than that??
    as for the "champion" plugs only comment... why is that.. i ran j6c champion plugs on it the first couple months i had the boat.. kept fouling them out.. went to a plug called an E3??? and gapped them to .030 i believe is the recommended gap for this motor.(would have to look again).. regardless.. ive had these plugs in the motor for 2 years now with absolutely no problems..
    i will back up bubba on the revving with the muffs.. that can be really bad for it.
    i will occasionally run mine on the muffs but only at idle..

ps.. tbull.. parts for these motors are pretty reasonable.. and most of the work on it is pretty easy..

sean

oh ya... fuel/ oil mix is 50:1 1 pint of oil to 6 gallons gas..

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    again thanks for the info on the muffs, I am new to owning a boat and had no idea you could mess something up like that.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sean who makes that E33 plug you are refering to.

9. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    bubba... check out www.e3sparkplugs.com i believe i got them at an advanced auto parts store for like $5 or $6 a piece.. ive definately gotten my moneys worth out of them. i wasn't too sure about them when i first got them but the guarantee and no foul design is what sold me... luckily it was a good purchase.

sean

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am glad they worked in that rude or Johnson as it may be. I have a bulletin some where I'll dig up that explains why they only want you to use champion. Had something about the burn rate . I told him to gap them at 35 to keep down the fouling. I gap most of mine at 40. I have one old engine that cause for a gap less plug and I use the QL77JC4 in it gapped at 40 and it runs quit well on that. Better then what the omc group recommend. I will check out that site and read up on their plugs. I am always looking for improvements.

11. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    right on willard... i would be interested in reading that article on using champion plugs.. on my flywheel, the guy that had the boat for 30 years before i had it, wrote "points .020 , plugs .030.. and that is what i have my plugs gapped at.. the motors runs well and has for the last couple years.. the only problem i have is if its been sitting for awhile.. it can be a little hesitant to fire up right away.. but even that isnt an issue as it will turn over after a couple seconds.

sean

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for all the help guys, just so I am clear, could you post what type of plug I should definatley use, and what it should be gapped at? As well as where I could pick those up at? Thanks again

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The OMC manuel calls for J4C champion plugs gaped at 30 but I would use
    J6C champiuon gaped at 35. This is a little hottor plug and gaping at 35 will slow the fouling down some what. I run a set of j6c in my 25 h/p and I gap mine at 40 so what ever suits you on your running will do the trick.