6600CB questions..

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by harper81, Oct 14, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am thinking of getting this reel as my first baitcaster. So being that this is my first, is this reel going to be easy to use? I fish from the bank only so will I be able to cast a pretty good distance (with some practice) with no problems? Is mono better than braided on baitcasters? What size rod would be a good match for this reel? I think that sums up my main concerns right this second, I am sure I will have more to come.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have 2 6600 C-4 and they have done well,I use a 9ft BPS Catmaxx rod MH action. I have had no problems bringing anything in or casting.:wink: I use Berkley Big game on all my reels so I cant answer the mono vs braid, Maybe someone else can help you there.:smile2: Oh by the way they are very easy to use but then again im used to round reels because Im a bass fisherman also.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know if im realy qualified to answer this question but sense i use both ill put in my 2 cents worth.i have 2 poles i use 80 lb.powerpro on.both these poles are used for float fishing.the reason i use braid for my floats is because it floats wheras mono sinks and will pull your float back toward the boat or bank.i use mono any time im fishing tight line because it is more able to take nicks and cuts.another reason is because its a lot easier to break than the braid.i know some one is going to say 30 lbs.is 30 lbs.but braid will not only cut the eyes on your rod but if you dont wrap it around some thing besides your hand you gonna end up needing stiches.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think cabelas has a nice combo for this reel and power pro works good i think its a abu 6600 whupping stick combo should be good i have a 6000& a 9' whupping stick.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I also have the 6600 C4... not sure the difference between the CB, but I have mine on an ugly stick tiger rod and it casts like a dream. It was my first baitcaster too and I haven't been disappointed in any way.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Im still looking at my first baitcaster that i bought a month ago to practice. I stare at it like its some alien invention. I guess i go get a rod for it one day. lol:wink:

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well as easy as any conventional...

No.
    Unless your some kind of prodigy, no one picks up their first conventional and cast's pretty far with no problems. If this is indeed your first conventional, plan on spending some time in the back yard getting a feel for the personality of the reel and training your thumb. So don't sell off your spinning reel's just yet :wink:

This is a matter of personal preference once you get confidence enough to make your own decision, However, spooling your reel with a heavy mono while learning will make life a little easier on you while learning. Bird's Nests are so much easier to pick out of 30lb mono than even 50lb braid.

The CB is the same as any 6600C series.. other than it has the thumb bar spool release as opposed to the push button type and It's model exclusive to Cabelas..thus the "CB" designation.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got 4 of the 6600CBs that I got from Cabela's and I LOVE them. I've had them for 3 years now and I use the snot out of them. I prefer braid on them so I can get more line on (they'll hold right at 150 yds of 80# PowerPro braid) and I haven't had any problems with them so far. It will take awhile for you to get used to casting them, but once you get used to it, they'll cast a loooooong ways.

I started out with cheap mono to practice casting and once I had it down (I think I spent one afternoon out in the yard practicing) I haven't used anything but baitcasters.

Read the instruction manual on how to set up your spool brake and it will help a lot. As you get better at casting, you'll find yourself loosening up the spool brake more and more to get more distance. Also, as somebody mentioned, the key is using your thumb to slow down the spool as your bait hits the water and the line stops going out while the spool is still turning. This failure to slow the spool is what causes bird nests. I typically hit the thumb bar to release the spool, then use my thumb to hold the spool on the "backswing" of my cast. Once I've casted, I let my thumb barely rest on the line and as the line gets closer to the water, I increase pressure on the spool to stop it from over-running. If your birdnesting, you're not braking hard or early enough, and if you're getting blisters on your thumb, your braking too hard and/or too early:wink:. As I re-read that, it sounds complicated, but it's not that bad at all. Good Luck!

Branden