6600 BCX question?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jnagel, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I was wondering if there are any upgrades that can be done to a Abu 6600 BCX reel?

2. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jake, there's always the 'Pitch Treatment'. Ya pitch it in the river and get one made in Sweden.

Sorry bout that...couldn't resist. Since they can be bought for bout' half of a Swedish made reel, Id say there bout' half as good. It's just like Orville Reddenbacher says, "ya get what ya pay for".

I've been buying used 6000s and 6500s both here and on Ebay for bout' the price of a new BCX. And haven't got a lemon yet...course haven't used em much yet...waitin for ice out.

3. KY_465

KY_465 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a couple of 5600 BCX's and they don't seem to be the quality of the Swedish Abu's. I'd suggest you try a good used swedish 5500 or 5600 (or the 6500 / 6600 series if you prefer the larger reel). If you stick with the C3 types you'll find they're much easier to upgrade. 5500 C3's can easily be bought used in the $30-$35 range. Then if you want to spend another $25 or so, you can make it into an extremely slick reel.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jake i have had bcx6600 and liked it for channel cats and they are fine just like they are for that but upgrades can get costly i recomend puting that monny in a better abu and please dont get me wrong i am not puting down your equipment at all i just dont want to see you throw your mony away

5. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Thank you dallas, seems like more and more on here folk have more focus on the top notch gear and forget about the sport we love in general. :moneymouth:

But yeah anyways i'll have to look at some c models i would like to do my own upgrades so i'm lookin for one that is affordable and easy to work on, any ideas guys?

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    IF you like that size of reel, Look on ebay,, abu garcia 6500, and you'll get an eyefull of stuff.. prices, models, options,, look around, it's there.. especially if you want to work on them,etc..
    Also, www.abugarcia.com
    look up the schematics for baitcasters,, you can view them and determine the differences in models,etc. I like to print the schematics , and keep them on hand. Plus, you can order parts from them, as well.
    I'm not too familiar with Penn reels, but, I think parts are fairly easy to obtain for those also..and, they are easy to work on from what I've seen of them. and, they'll last forever with normal maintenance
    Good Fishin', Greg

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i love the c reels myself i like the thumb bar wish all abu had a thumb bar Jake you will love any of the c reels and as far as i am conserned all abu's are easy to work on penn's are too thats my two faves to work on and Jake you can trust Greg Snaged advise he would never steer you wrong he is my go to man if i get stumped on something

8. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i also have a bcx and have been wondering the same thing, a friend who had a bcx changed somethings out when i see him ill find out all what he did, i do know the mods came from 6000 series models, now the difference with sweden and china i wouldnt be suprised if there was already parts in all there models that are stamped china and if there isnt any its only a matter of time.

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    ive got 5 of theses reels in 5600 and 6600... never had problems with them... as far as upgrades?? im not sure never checked into it. if you find any let me know!