6500TC and TC blue cat problems

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JWH1542, May 4, 2009.

1. JWH1542

JWH1542 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    last year i bought two abu 6500 blue cats and loved them so this year i saved up the money and bought 2 regular 6500 TC's all with power handles. but in the last few weeks of fishing the nut the holds the handle down has somehow striped its self out on all of them! any body else had this problem. i didnt pay good money for this to happen

thanks for your input
    JW

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I haven't read anything posted about this happening. I dont even recall what the warranty period is for these?

If you happened to get them at Walmart they are pretty good about swapping items back out.

Last time I recall something like this was during the Ebay Roddy 175 marketing explosion...

3. JWH1542

JWH1542 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that have made in sweeden on them and i got them from catfish connection

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  5. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    catfish connection is a good company call and talk to them and iam sure they will make it right there C.S is excelent i ordered a dvd in the mail and when i got it the dvd was not in the pkg box the bow was wraped in the factory palstic but the dvd was left out they replaced it and sent me a free dvd also for the trouble i went through good ppl to deal with

6. JWH1542

JWH1542 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well i just have to see waht i can do i would hate to strip all that power pro off the reels just to send them back

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I caught this thread late...Yes I have had this very same problem...:confused2: So did my friend...I bought two blue cats last year...after using them less than 5 or 6 times mine exhibited the same problem...My friend bought one and had to return his also...There was a thread last year with a gentleman having the same problem...I am almost scared that it will start having this problem again..I have only used one of them sparingly this year....C. Connection did take them back no problems no question asked...I just hope it doesnt happen again..I actually bought a Shimano Caster as a backup in case...

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have had no less than four handle nuts strip out, including one 'Blue Cat'!! I sent it back to Catfish Connection and they replaced it. Since then, I have anothe 'Blue Cat' that it has happened on, as well as a 6500TC, and a regular 6500c3. I'm pretty pissed about it. However, rather than send them back, I think I will just order new handle nuts, in hope that I can get some nuts of a better quality. At least it's the nuts that are stripping out rather than the brass shaft that they are applied to. (I hope) I NEVER had any problems with the older Abu reels, and the only issue I have had with the new ones is handle nut failure. Since THEY are bound to know of this issue, it would seem that they would just send a free nut, no questions asked. If enough of us wrote to them, maybe it would help! It's pretty embarrasing to have clients/friends/folks fishin' with you, and a handle falls off a reel you have been praising all over the forums. BTW: ALL the reels I have been having problems with were last year's models, so it could just be a defective handle nut issue. I'm going to write the "Pure Fishin" Garcia dept tomorrow, and see if they will just send me some new nuts, FREE of charge. It would certainly be good for public relations if they would. Again, they SURELY ARE AWARE of this issue with last year's models.

Bill in SC

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds like a good move Bill...Please let me know how it works...Like I said I am scared to use the reels and this happen again to me....Ps..That was the gentleman I was referring to..lol...(above post)

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Are these the Chrome "Acorn" nuts, or the ones under the plastic cover??

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, the chrome acorn nuts. NO issues with the type of brass nuts under the nut retainer.

Bill in SC

12. JWH1542

JWH1542 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i didnt want to strip all the power pro back off so today i went to the local reel shop and got some replacement parts if this keeps ip im going to lowes to find something that wont strip

13. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    same problem here. bought it from catfish safari and sent it back and got another last summer. this one is pretty wobbly though, so gonna talk to abu about getting it fixed RIGHT

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Wonder if putting lock tite on it will keep it from moving and not striping out. Just a thought.....

15. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    probably not because the nut is tight it just doesnt seat up against the handle very well and allows a rocking motion !! The abu pure fishing said to send the reel to them with a note describing problem!

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats y i love my pro rocket, its three years old and still functions fine, not everbeen taken apart

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Nope.

I've got 6 blue cat reels, 4 of the 6 have stripped out just like everyone is saying. Loctite held them together for a while but then it gave out too.

The bottom line is, the chinese made crappy Blue Cat reels are just that - chinese made crappy reels. They look pretty, they go great with my Catfish Safari Lake rods, they've got the Abu Garcia name on them but otherwise I'm not at all impressed with them.

18. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    minee says " made in sweden" does that not mean anything??

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I thought that all of the "Blue Cat" reels were made an assembled in Sweden. Has nothing to do with china. Is there some documents that proves this one way or the other, Mr T.

20. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    but then again 90 percent of things are made in one place and fail to mention that most of the components are made somewhere else like china! that could be what he means!!!:big_smile: i know its a very real possibility. and the bad thing is the assembling company will accept substandard quality to justify the price! :angry: