6500c3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CATCHARMER, Nov 30, 2008.

1. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    went to academy sports today and bought a 6500c3. i noticed that they had another 6500c3 that was a little different color plastic area between the two halves. the clicker was very quiet i could almost not hear it at all. the plastic piece is a light gray the lighter gray has the louder clicker the other one has a dark gray. if anyone is looking at them make sure you check the loudness of the clicker if it matters to you. the guy behind the counter said the reelwith the darker gray plastic is the newer style.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for the tip, The clicker is pretty important to me,,, louder the better with my ears!
    I've been picking up used 7000's and a lot of those need new clicker springs, which I order and install, usually makes them work real good.

Be kinda of a waste to have to "fix" a new one....:tounge_out:

3. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    the guy behind the counter brought out 7 reels of the "new style" and they all had weak sounding clickers

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I have six 6500 C3's and several of the clickers sound different.

Some are'nt as loud as others. They are all the same model.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if its the one im thinking the new style is the classic and has the carbontex drag witch is inportant to me because its a mutch better stronger drag.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I bought a ABU- 5600CS MAG ( Green in color )When Bull Frog Creek Bait and Tackle went out of business for my grandsons rod.Its pretty nice little reel.

But what I thought was a clicker slide bar( as some of them have ) turned out to be a magnetic brake for the spool:angry:. you can set it at zero, and it keeps the line from spooling but has no sound,quite as a mouse.:angry::angry:

I kept it anyway on his rod .When he gets older and wants a clicker Papaw will just have to break down again:smile2:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've heard some of the Old 5000 series reels had clickers, but, the current stuff -6500 up for clickers..

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Man Greg, I'm glad you pointed that out Bro! ( hit the wrong button first LOL..)

IT was a 6500CS MAG,and thats what I thought about the reel and it should have been a clicker on it.

But when I called about it ,They stated that the CS-MAG came only with the magnetic control..I could'nt beleive it..:confused2:

Kenny.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a couple pics of it .. Has anybody got one?.

Attached Files:

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, Hmmm, That would be very dissappointing to me,,,:confused2:
    as i Like having the clickers,, Threw us a curve ball didn't they...

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have an old 5000 D and it has a clicker but no drag get a run on it the handle turn backward but it does have tensioner on how free the spool turns

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, I'm not familiar with that particular model,, sounds like maybe the anti reverse is broken,,, Or maybe it's just real old... interesting.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The 5000D was a direct drive reel, no drag, it is up to the operator to back reel to control pressure and give the fish line. They were made from the early 70's to around 1980.

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Wow, that sounds intense....!!!!:wink:

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Patrick, Them old ABUS are something..I think this one is the same as ( Slim Daddy was talking about? )

This old No 5000, I was given back in 74-75? and seemed to be a couple of yrs old then.It is somewhat as you described.It was great engineering on ABU's behalf then, thinking of the fisherman ..:wink:

It has the drag But -no visible Clicker.

After the cast you tighten line and let your bait rest on the bottom or float , Leaving the spool engaged, you simply back off the drag about a 1/4 turn or so( its that close)and it automatically is in clicker mode( pretty loud too! ) As soon as fish takes off with your rig, you just turn the drag back up and it stops Clicking as soon as the drag is reset. you can then bring the fish in:cool2:

This reel has cranked in more #'s of catfish than I can begin to count:wink: It has been rebuilt once and is still in good working order,except the handle somehow disappeared, I think my son took it off.:sad2:got to get that back asap..

Attached Files:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sorry about the quick reply but;

I forgot to mention that the handle on this reel does not turn backwards when fish takes off with your bait, like the one slimdaddy discribed.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i got a pair of the black cats on th white ugly stik cat rods sittin right here next to me :big_smile::cool2:

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    OMG!!!!:smile2: I'm fishing with ANTIQUES!!!!

Griz ,, Thanks for that site ,, lots of info ...

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thanks Patrick..

Man its good to know that the reel I have is one of the first 5000 made when they transitioned from the ABU Record in the 50's..I checked the spool and s/n#from the reel..Now If I can find my handle and the ABU medallion thats missing. Its got to be here somewhere.The paint it a little wore on the edges of the side-plates, but that goes to show how many times I've palmed the reel over the yrs.:wink: Its in real good shape though,after 50yrs:cool2: