6500c3 vs 6500c4

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bob R, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have a 6500c3 now that works great. Im looking to buy a new reel and am interested in the 6500c4 because it has a slightly higher gear ratio and thumbar. If anyone has a c4, I would like to hear what you like and dont like about it before I make my purchase. Also, are the power handles beneficial on the abu reels?
    Thanks

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Bob, I started using the c3s several years ago. I still have them. I used c4s for 2 years and I wound up sending them to Pure Fishing and replacing them with 7000c3s. In my opinion the c4s are just not made for our kind of fishing. I fish the Mo. river almost exclusively. When I contacted Pure Fishing the guy told me he didnt think I took very good care of them. I really dont think he understands what an obsessed river fisherman puts his gear through. They did make it all good though so I dont have anything bad to say about Abu Garcia. The 7000c3s seem to be doing a good job. I am starting my 3rd year with them and they seem to be doing the job.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a 5600c4. I love the reel and it has done well for me. But, when I bought a new reel, I got a 6500c3. There's not enough difference in the retrieve ration to make a difference catfishing. You aren't moving a lure faster to entice fish, just bringing back in your terminal tackle. The thumbar looks like it would be great, but they sometimes stick. Go with the c3, save a few bucks, and you'll have a great reel that'll last you a long time.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think I would stick with the C3's.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The C4's are very smooth compared to the C3's but the C3 is a workhorse of a reel and will handle most catfishing tasks.
    I am not a big fan of power handles as I believe its the rod's job to do the pulling and the reel's job to gather up the lined gained by pumping the rod. The reel is not a winch for cranking fish up from the depths. J.M.H.O...w

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I can understand that. I prefer power handles though as a matter of comfort. The dual handle is just too small to get my hands around well.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Agreed them little handles that the 6500's come with don't work to great when fighting big fish. You have to have some comfort. Besides the handle don't turn a 6500 reel into some super duty reel. It in no way changes the gear ratio or drag capability's.

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the thumb bar on my 5600 C5, but it's not a necessity. I think the swedish made Abu reels are nice.

As far as reels go, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I like smoother reels with more bearings, so I watched and waited to get the very best prices. I can't spend $90 each for baitcasters. But, when the $90 reels are selling for $50 or $60, that's when I make my move.

Metalman makes an excellent point. Let the rod do the work, and your reels will last longer. It's important to have a good rod that matches your fishing style.

Shawn

9. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's all about the gears. The lower gear ratio of the C3 is preferred if you are dealing with high torque (heavy sinkers, large fish). The lower gears simply last longer under tough use. The C4 is still more than enough to handle most applications and most users will never have a failure due to the higher gear ratio, but if you want to know what is considered better 5.3:1 is it. As far as power handles, they are golden. Contrary to alot of stuff you run across in this forum, lower gears and power handles are pretty much the standard in all big-game fishing circles. To me the gears are more important than the thumbbar. If you can try to find the SSC3. It's basically the 6500c3 with a thumbbar

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have ABU reels with both type of handles and I like the power handles the best. They also lay better when bank fishing. Most of the top end reels and most salt water reels have a power handle.

11. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Thanks, for all of the info.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE THE C3'S BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION.