6500c3 or 6500tc

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by carpdoctor, Nov 28, 2007.

1. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    6500c3 or 6500tc What is the main difference in the two reels? Which one would u pick and why?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6500C3 I just got one and its a real good reels. The new 6500C3 has the carbon drag on it and has more bearings.

3. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Chris; I hate to disagree with CJ but for your style of fishing I would go with the 6500tc. It has more bearings and a faster retrive for those channel cats your after. It also comes with the Power Handle ( a $15.00 upgrade ) Standard.

For your Flathead fishing the 6500C3 my have a slight edge in power, but the 6500tc will work just fine. A guide friend of mine uses the 6500tc for big blues all the time and loves them.

One more thing the 6500tc would look great on your new rods.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The Trophy Collection reels have the 4 bearing arrangement of the C4's, but with the lower gearing of the C3's and comes standard with the power handle.

So as to which reel, it's just a matter of personal preference. The TC in theory should be a little (barely) smoother, the larger power handle should make reeling in the monsters a little easier... but you can buy a power handle for any Ambassadors so again it all boils down to which one you like better.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have a 6500C4 and i like it alot. i would recommend it. i dont know about the TC but either way you cant go wrong with a 6500 series. for channel cats i use 5500C3's. not as big and beefy, but nice for channels. i have them mounted on 7'9" CattMaxx rods and they match up nicely.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I'll have to update my previous post since the servers take longer to respond than the 'edit' buttons life span.

But I guess the newer TC's are in fact now 6:1.. I'd personally want the lower gearing for big fish, so having the option I'd go for the C3.
    Tackle Direct has some TC's in 5:1.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The only difference between the two is the tc has an added bearing in the levelwind to make winding a little smoother. It also has the higher gear ratio, which I haven't noticed alot of difference in fighting a big fish as I fight it with the rod, not the reel. It does help keep my sinker off the bottom when reeling in to change bait and I don't get hung up as much.

If cosmetic looks is an issue to you, then get the one that you like the looks of, there's not that much difference in the way they perform. If cost is the issue, get the one you get a better deal on. The're both great reels!

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    They are so close to the same that it probably wouldn't make much differance. It really boils down to what you think feels better in the hand and on the retrieve.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I heard the prices on these bait casters are going up so act quickly. (according to a mailing i just recvd)

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    id bet if you held one of those tc s in your hand, you wouldnt give it up. :big_smile: :cool2:

11. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i just bought a tc for my friend (on ebay - he doesnt have an account), he loves it so far, got it from a surplus tackle store for less than $100.00 it works a lot smoother than his c3 but is a few years newer also, he caught a 32 lb flat in current and has no trouble with the higher gear ratio, hope this helps