6500c3 clicker problems

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by CatfishCC, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2, 6500c3's. Had them about six months or so. Both clickers doesn't seem to work right. Not very loud at all. I have a older 6500 that the clicker is very loud. Anybody no why? I am scratching my head on this one. Different parts maybe?

Chad

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    The newer one are not as loud. I think it is the material they are made out of. I bought a box of junk reels one time and down in the bottom were 8 6500s! I had to use parts from some to make 5 good one. Some of them had different clicker in them. That could be it to. I hope someone knows for sure. I just know how to replace them.

3. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just noticed if I put a little thumb pressure on the clicker switch it is louder. ?:sad2:

4. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took my older 6500c3 cover off the side with the clicker switch. And then I took the cover off of a new one. I looked and looked at the parts. Nothing is different part wise. But after studying how the clicker works I the found the problem with the new 6500's I have. The part#12645 is not as close to the gear on the newer ones. So I tweaked it a little bit towards the gear, put it back together and bam the clicker sounds like the old one. Not sure the part I tweaked is called. But it fixed my clicker sound problem.

Chad

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    On the 6500's, I've noticed the springs are a bit different, in length,, The ones I'm currently ordering from the supply house are a bit shorter and stouter, I don't know if all the springs started off the same length, but, I've definitely found some that are longer than the new ones I get..Maybe they stretch, or fatigue after awhile.. dunno
    So, when I find one that's not at the right ,,, loudness, It's usually a matter of changing out the springs,, That's been effective for me in getting "soft" clickers to sound off!!

On the older ones,The ones with the Copper colored "striker" They do seem to be a bit louder,, but, not as common in the reels I find or buy.., I have a few and they are as effective when fishing as any of the reels I use.

6. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys for your input:wink:

chad

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    One other thing I didn't mention,,
    The best way to check the loudness of the clicker is to put the reel in freespool and then spin the spool, either with some line, or even just by hand,, It seems louder to me in that configuration,, And,, That's when you would want it the loudest,,,FISH ON!!..............

Rather than using the handle to spin the spool against the clicker mechanism,, When the spool is cranked with the handle, I think part of the "noise" is absorbed into the handle side of the reel through the gears and such,, In the freespool method, It's just the clicker hitting the cog gear, and rattling into the left side cover in a bell like fashion!!!

Hope this info helps..