6500c lets me down

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CountryHart, May 20, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Saturday i hooked into the fish of a lifetime for me. It got tangled in the line and i had it on top of the water draggin it sideways. The current below Truman dam was rippin it. Anyway i had to kep tightening the drag and it finally quit taking up line. I could crank the handle but the spool wouldn't do anything. The reel is new with 65# power pro on it. We wrapped the line around the wood handle of a bait net and attemped to drag the fish in. Line busted the first time my partner pulled. Oh well thats fishin but the reel has me gun shy now.

2. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Look on the bright side you can always use this as an excuse to get a bigger reel

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Was it a new reel? I used a 6500c3 to land a 57lb spoonbill that was hooked about a third of the way up from the tail, below Ft Gibson Dam with all the turbines running. Thats a bummer on losing a big fish to an equipment failure.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Brand new, i just wish i knew what happened. As soon as my pard ships it to me cause i left it in his boat, it's going back.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    John, You know what I said about that :smile2: Not going to start any reel wars on here!:smile2:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    John part of it may have been that the line is way more then its rated for . Also if you tighten the drag up 2 much. I may have locked the spool up. If so back off the drag and that should let the reel work again.
    Pete

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    LMAO Steve, i may convert. The circle hooks i hated so much are definitely a permanent addition.:wink:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, That's a sad story,,I wouldn't mind checking that reel out... something sounds,,,,,,,,,,askew...
    also, 65# line, you should'a been able to drag a boat in,, musta' had a little nick in that braid.

9. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that is a new one you should get a old one they are built better like everything else, walmart sells cheap with cheap, sure was a good time down there, hope you get another chance at him again, sometime

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    John you do know you left your self wide open lol Steve gona be on you to convert to a penn now lol i am like you tho John it kinda made me gun shy myself thats what i thout about wile out with MRR is this ABU gona let me down if i hook a bigen :confused2:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I agree, this has happened before:wink:

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    6000 sized and under abu aren't ment for that kind of action:tounge_out: they aren't made big enough to handle big current period. A reel that's made to Handle 320yrds of 20# test with a 4:1 gear loaded with 40# is perfect. You got to match your gear.

13. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cry baby and you got the trophy didn't you? lol...just joking and at your snoring sounds too...

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You know me! Im like the "GEEEHOVA witnesses" when it comes to Penn reels LOL!

15. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hate to hear when a big fish is lost. I am sticking with the abu's as I have never had any problems with them. I have caught a nice flathead with no problems what so ever. I had it spooled with 25lb test but didnt have the drag tightened up all the way either. My abu is a 6000 and has never failed me yet. I wouldnt hesitate to use it on a big brusier.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    those reels are not made fore them situwations, u need a much more hevy duty reel like a big peen with 100 pound test, or a shimono, trust me , they will handle 70 pounders but not in deep heavy currnt, you need a hevy duty, reel and rig man, shure its possibe to get them in with those, but look at how many people get flatheads on 15 pound test and zebcoe reels it happens, but if your aproching this you beter be ready to horese them out with deep sea tackle, and its gona cost you money, 500 doller rigs, big srong penns, 100 pound braid 8 oz weght, c3s and 6500s are not the best for deep hevy curebt and 70 pound fish man,alot of complaints about abues now, the older ones, and the pro rockets will do it, but i recomend, a good strong penn, for deep blues in hevy curent,now my abues bring big flatheads in easy in shalow water, and blues two, but that curent and deaph put a hurtin on them , but thats an opinion not a fact,listen to all of us and make up your mind, but you wont lose with my method, you just got to pay the price 500 bucks,and take care of that rig

17. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Slikk, I use Penn reels and pull big fish out, There is no need for a $500 rigg! What Penns are you using bro???? The one from JAWS?!!!! LOL!

Cmon MAN!!! your making me wan't to switch to abu with a post like that!:confused2:

18. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    The flathead I caught was forty pounds and it came from the ohio river. I fished with a guide on the ohio in Cincinatti and he too had his boat rigged with abu's and stiff rods. untill I have a problom with the abus I will continue to use them. This is a big upgrade for me from the days of zebcos and baitcasters for bass fishing. I have bought another abu reel but did upgrade to a heavier rod that can handle the heavier weights we made. This should help a lot. I did see another abu that caught my eye, it was an inshore model. Thanks for your opinion it is good to hear what other boc brothers use for cattin. I will post my upcoming trip to the ohio in a few weeks. We will be there for 5 days. I guess I will find out then how they will hold up. Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind should I have any problems.

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :eek:oooh: $500 lmao Steve you took the words right outa my mouth a 209 or 309 will get the job done any day and sher dont cost $500 be a cold day in hello when i put $500 out for one rig:crazy::eek:oooh:

20. Big Muddy Catter

Big Muddy Catter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley MO
    Penn 209 is all I have to say. I have never had a bit of trouble and swear by them.:big_smile: