6500C burnt me...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cattn-Jeep, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    OUCH! My thumb got burnt casting...that was a first. Anyone else ever have that happen?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Were you using a brand of super-line?

3. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Sure was, Tuf Line XP (yellow). My skin blistered, broke, and melted all at the same time.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    i generally lick my thumb or do something to get it wet before i make a big long cast with dry line.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cowboy up Ladd. Its a good hurt. LOL! Its for the mission. LOL!

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ivan,

You need to make sure you are adjusting the centrifugal braking system on your bait cast reel.

this is known as the, "Spool Tension Adjustment".

Usually a small round knob on the handle side of the reel.

You are thumbing the spool to hard because you are afraid it will bird nest on you do to the speed of the spool during casting.

Normally as a result of not adjusting the Spool Tension Adjustment (SPT) accurately for the weight of your current terminal rig.

If your fishing reel uses magnetic breaks, crank it up to about 70%-80% for a good start point, then adjust on need.

Less for farther distance, more for de-anti-birdnest-no-thumb-burn-control :wink:

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Don't thumb the line. Use your thumb to feather the lip of the spool

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    exactly what i was going to say, but he said it alot better than i could have. if you are not using your spool brake then you are wasting your time and asking for trouble. you should be able to sling a 3 or 4 ounce weighted rig with a big ole piece of cut bait about a quarter of a mile and never have to touch the spool until it hits the water, and then all you have to do is slow it down while the bait sinks. the best way to tell what your spool brake needs to be set at is to rig up your rod with the set-up you intend to use, then hold the rod tip at about the 10 o'clock position. push the spool release and let the rig fall straight down;. adjust the brake until the spool will only turn about 1 full turn after the rig hits the ground. this will help alot in the future. from here you can fine tune it to where you want it through-out the day.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Sweet!

10. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Cowboy up? I'm not a cowboy and I wasn't complaining about anything either. It was a question as to whether or not anyone else has been burnt like that. The "OUCH" was just too add a dramatic touch.

Thumbing the spool...I had everything set right for the distance I was aiming for, it just needed a little TLC on launch to keep the line calmed down. I have no problems on "Small" or "Regular" casts...this one was definitely a "Launch".

"Feather" the lip of the spool...I would if there was enough of it showing...

I thought it was odd how fast the skin burnt, blistered, and melted. I'm talking fast like less than a second, maybe closer to 3/4 second. Then I wondered if the same thing (or similar) has happed it anyone else? I thought it was pretty amazing. :wink:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when your skin starts to heat up your brain sends a message to its self to ignore the pain thats why it gets so bad before it regesters and you get a bad burn instead of a little one.i have 2 rods that i use power pro 80 lb.on and i also use a 2 ounce sinker a cat bobber and a 5 to 10 ounce bait.i always wet my line before casting this set up.thats why god made bottled water. :wink:

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Looks like that's what I'm going to start doing :wink: